Chapter 2

italics = flashback

It was raining when the plane touched down on the tarmac in the small private airport. She could remember the last time she was at this airport, except she was leaving everything behind her, and going back home to essentially start a new life. Y/N O'Phalen's green eyes took in the surroundings, the black SUVs, the nicely dressed men with guns tucked in their waist bands. She sighed and looked over at her parents who were in a conversation, as the plane settled on the ground.

"How long are we here for?" Her older brother, Cillian asked.

"A couple days," Maeve said, the matriarch of the family. Her beautiful brown hair made her stand out from the rest of them. All three of the O'Phalen children had deep coppery colored hair that glistened in the light, "Y/N will stay behind, start tampering with the information and files the federal agents have."

Y/N sucked in a breath and clenched her jaw, "There a reason I have to be the one specifically to do it? Cillian can do it too."

"You know that what they have is more sensitive to you," The leader of the family spoke up, Galen. His cold blue eyes made her shiver. She knew that she was the only one who could work fast enough to get in and tamper with the evidence and information without being caught. Cillian was smart, but not nearly as smart as her.

Y/N stood up first, making her way towards the door of the plane. One of her body guards helped her down the stairs of the plane as her family followed behind. She watched as her father helped her mother down the stairs, keeping an arm around her. Y/N had always admired her parents' love, knowing that finding love in their line of work was few and far between. It usually ended in heartbreak and misery. Galen and Maeve had been lucky.

"We'll be in and out, you'll be back home with your baby before you know it," Maeve said, reading the look on her daughter's face. It was the first time in almost six years that Y/N had been so far away from home, and it was an eternal battle to not run away and have the plane turn back home.

"Y/N," Cillian called out to her. Y/N turned and walked over to him, "Aidan just rang."

Her heart stopped and her mind went to the worst case scenario, "What's wrong?"

"Cian is sick. He's running a fever."

"I need to go," Y/N said and pushed past Cillian only to be stopped by Galen, "Da,"

"No. He's okay, he's home with Aidan and the maids. He will be okay," Galen explained and Y/N looked over at her mother, trying to reason with her.

"Listen to your father," Maeve said, "You're here for business."

"It's also my job to be a mother," Y/N argued. She sighed looking at her parents, knowing that neither one was going to budge and let her get back on the plane to go home to her son, "If he gets worse, I am on the first plane out of here and back home. Fuck all the-"

"Remember why you are here, what you are here trying to protect," Galen said. Y/N nodded and looked down at her shoes. He sighed, and gently led her over to the black SUV waiting to take them to one of the Kiszka hideaway houses.

— — — ♰♰♰ — — — 

Between Danny and Sam, it only took about a week to gather addresses and send them out. Josh had made a list of mafia families that were arriving, and placed them in various stock houses around the Kiszka mansion. Danny let Sam do most of the work on finding the families, knowing that he could work quicker at it than Danny could. Besides, Danny tasked himself with trying to figure out why Josh would invite the Irish Kings. Her name and picture had been on Danny's mind for the past week, the recurrent dream that he hadn't had for years had come back, making him wake up in a cold sweat at night.