chapter 4

Nashville TN, 6 years ago. . .

She always hated the interrogation rooms. She always thought they were cold, not liking to be separated by glass, how they were so silent, almost sound proof. Katherine was usually the one who walked in with a certain swagger, hoping to make the person they are investigating break a sweat. Now she was the one breaking a sweat as she was waiting for her colleague to come in.

She looked down at her nails, picking at the hang nails as she bounced her leg up and down. She knew every time she was in the room, giving them information and walking back out, there was a chance she could lose her life. It was risky being a federal agent, but being a federal agent undercover, trying to bring down the new generation of mobsters, was almost a certain death wish.

"Hey, sorry I'm late, Castillo," Agent Parker said as he walked into the room. He sat down at the table, and pulled out his notepad, "Let me hear it."

"Jake has been in contact with the Irishman, Galen, I believe his name is, quite a lot in the past several days."

"What about Jimmy?"

"In pieces at the bottom of the atlantic. Galen found out about what Jimmy did and didn't want his business tainted by that image. Anyway, it sounds like Jake is trying to secure a deal with the Irish for big guns. Talking military style assault rifles."

Agent Parker nodded, writing down the information. Katherine also explained that Galen had allowed his only daughter to go to school in the states, attending college with the youngest Kiszka brother, Sam. Katherine told Parker how close Y/N and Sam had gotten, that the last call Sam had with Jake, he was talking about bringing her home to meet his family.

"The second she walks through that door, they'll know who she is. She'll ruin the whole deal. Galen won't let that happen. His daughter is like. . . the crown jewel," Agent Parker explained.

"She's anything but innocent," Katherine smirked, "She's been in this love affair with Sam since the day she got to Cambridge. Not to mention, Danny, the bodyguard, totally knows who she is. Those two have been like cat and mouse, arguments and petty comments. It's amazing that Sam hasn't put it together."

"Danny. . . the Wagner kid? Didn't Jimmy-"

"Yep," Katherine said, popping the 'p'.

Parker smirked and jotted some more notes down as Katherine talked. She had been asked to attend a dinner with Jake and his father. She felt weird going with them, knowing that for Jake it meant more to have her there. Everything for Katherine was just a job, an act. She acted like she loved Jake, acted like she liked going to the club every night. The only thing she did like and enjoy was the sex and the validation he gave her.

"I need you to get closer," Parker explained, "I need you to really drive home the role of being the mafia wife. Let him get even closer to you."

Katherine sighed, "I think. . . I think he plans on proposing at this dinner."

Parker's eyes lit up as he sat up straighter, "Yes! That's exactly what needs to happen. You get inside that inner circle, and we bring these bastards in."

Katherine nodded, and leaned back in her chair. She looked at the clock behind his head, watching it tick, almost like it was the ticking clock on her life. She knew the closer she got, the more dangerous it was going to be if they ever found out. Even if she managed to escape from them before they found out, she would forever have a target on her back. Katherine had nightmares about it, the thought alone sending her down a spiral. They had a plan on what would happen if they ever found out.