chapter 3

italics = flashback

The conversation the two of them had that night was not one fueled by anger, but one fueled by confusion and mixed emotions. Sam wanted to be angry, he really did, but he also wanted an answer. An answer on why she just fell off the face of the earth only to appear again with one of the most dangerous families in the world. Y/N didn't say much, just the basics of what Sam needed to know. She wasn't kidnapped, she wasn't tortured, that she was safe, and she was working security for the O'Phalens. Sam wanted to know more and was pressing her for more when another man came to get her.

"Y/N," The same man she had walked in with called out to her, "It's Aidan."

"Hey, we're having a-" Sam said but was cut off by her.

"Sam, this is Cillian, my older brother."

"Cillian. . . but Clover he is, oh my-"

"Cian wants to talk to you," Cillian said, cutting Sam off. Y/N nodded and walked away from Sam without saying a word. Sam watched as the two of them walked away, once again being confused and hurt by her not saying anything as she left.

Sam was sitting in the big office, working on creating a new way to track the gun trades across the ocean. Gianni had given them their share of the sales, but Sam wanted to make sure that what they had was correct, so when he placed the next order with Galen they wouldn't get in trouble. Sam hadn't ever talked to Galen O'Phalen, but there was something about his cold blue eyes that sent a shiver up Sam's spine.

Galen ran his business with an iron fist, moving like shadows in the dark. No one knew when and where the Irish would strike, and Galen fed off that fear. Galen never knew that he would take over for the O'Phalen family, until the death of his brother Jimmy. Galen and Jimmy were close, that was until Jimmy went rogue, running high off the blood he shed and the adrenaline. Many people didn't see the difference between Galen and Jimmy, but there was. Galen had a soft side to him, one that most mobsters would never let get to them; his family. Galen was a family man, his wife and three kids were always by his side at different events.

"And this is the main office," Josh said as he stopped in the doorway, "This is my youngest brother Sam, head of technological affairs." Sam waved at whoever Josh was talking to, not bothering to look up from his computer.

"Him?" Sam lifted his head at the sound of her accent, "I think you better hire someone else. It was easy for me to break into your systems and start fucking with shit."

"So I'm guessing you were the reason why all the lights went out the other night," Josh said and Y/N smirked, "Sam, this is Y/N. She's doing some work for us for the time being."

"What work?" Sam asked confused as to why his brother would bring in a total outsider into the family to work with them.

"It's nothing big. Galen is worried about a possible breach and wants his daughter to take a look. He trusts her more than us which is understandable," Josh said and Sam raised his eyebrows in confusion, not understanding Josh, "You didn't know this was Galen's daughter? Was the accent and red hair not enough of a giveaway?"

Y/N watched as the realization crossed Sam's face, and then it faded to anger. Y/N bowed her head, looking away from Sam, but could still feel his angry glare on her. Josh led her over to a desk that was across from Sam's and explained that she was more than welcome to bring in her own setup, which she was already planning on doing even if Josh wasn't going to allow it. Josh explained some more things about sending her the files and information that they already had, so she could fact check it and dive in to what she was here to gather. Once Josh left the room, Sam sat down in his desk chair and glared at her.