Chapter Two

After a quick detour to her own room, where she was able to strip out of her ridiculous court ensemble and slip into a much more comfortable day dress, Alera threw on her red cape and made her way to the stables.

Jere was the only person in the stables who understood her. They had known each other for what felt like forever, and he was one of the few people who didn't see her as odd, or different, or dangerous.

Perhaps that was why she loved him for it.

Often she thought he felt the same way for her, though neither of them spoke of it. But the lingering looks, the extended touches, the way they talked in circles around with double-entendres without saying the word...

Was this her fault because she never dared take it any further than what she and Jere already had? Was it because a part of her was too cowardly to find out the truth of what lay between them, and in her hesitation, she never thought it was a possibility?

But what good was love when her father was promising her to someone else?

Someone else she didn't want.

With a broken heart, the fear of her father's arrangement began to seep in. She had heard tales of Abigor's history, and that the trading they were so well known for was neither legal nor ethical. And that their royal family was far crueler than the taskmasters in their employ. So what did that say of their prince? She had never met him, and she wondered if her father had either, or if he just took the first viable offer that crossed his desk.

She didn't want to leave her home—at least here, despite the treatment she received because of her blood, she still had people she knew and who cared about her. In a different kingdom, far away from everything she knew and loved, she would be even more alone than she already was, and there was no doubt in her mind she would be as feared there as she was here.

Jere was busy finishing up grooming a horse by the time Alera burst into his stables, her thoughts sending her into a whirlwind of panic. One that Jere alone always seemed to be able to cure. One that she hoped he'd be able to cure again.

-----

When Alera rushed into the stables, Jere could immediately tell that something was... wrong. Even the horses sensed something off, stomping and whinnying—the one he was brushing even reared up as she approached.

"Whoa, whoa, boy," he attempted to coax the horse to calmness, but the gelding was having none of it.

It was almost as though the animals were feeding off of Alera's emotions just in the same way he was when he knew something was wrong the moment she was near.

She stood there in a beautiful cornflower blue dress, with her red cape draped over her shoulders and the large hood covering her hair. If she was trying to sneak away, it was not the cape to be wearing, and if she was looking for secrecy, coming to the stables with the horse reaction as they were was not going to help.

Jere refrained from outwardly chuckling as Alera just stood there, eyes wide and almost in awe that the horses were reacting like they were. She was as surprised as he, but instead of staring as she was, he snapped to get her attention and tossed her the grooming brush after he did so.

"You can tell me what happened after you help me calm them down."

She blinked at him and caught the brush just at the last minute. Jere nodded towards the mare in the next stall, who was still stamping her feet. Alera didn't ask any questions as she moved and carefully opened the stall door, even as Jere kept an eye on her. Not that he didn't trust her with the horses, but that he never could seem to stop watching her whenever she was around.

He always knew Alera was special, but when she was letting her emotions get the best of her, there was something so much more to her. He knew about her past and her mother and the forest people she came from, just as he knew about the magic that inherently moved through and around her.

Just as that same magic exuded from her, somehow tied to her emotions. But it never frightened Jere, as he knew it frightened others in the Kingdom. In fact, it almost drew him closer to her. He wasn't afraid, he was intrigued. Fascinated even.

"So, do you want to tell me what happened?" he asked as casually as he could once he kept the gelding from bucking.

She didn't answer at first, and he looked over to see her more focused on the grooming than anything else. But he could still sense the emotional magic coming from her in waves.

He was about to tell her she didn't need to tell him anything when she finally spoke up.

"My father is threatening to sell me off to the highest bidder."

Jere felt the air in the stable still. He continued to watch her, waiting for her to at least look at him, if not say more.

She shook her head and finally looked over at him. "They're going to hate me there even more than they hate me here."

He could hear the distress surfacing in her voice, and they had just finally gotten the horses to calm, so he was walking to her quickly, gently gripping her arms in his hands to make sure he had her attention, albeit reluctantly.

"Hey, listen to me," he said as neutrally as he could while he battled his feelings back. "No one hates you, and if they do, that's their loss, not yours."

Her frown could have broken his heart, as if the news about her upcoming marriage wasn't enough. "You're one of the few ones who can stand to touch me, Jere."

She motioned to where his hands gripped her arms. He hadn't even given touching her a second thought. There were many things he considered doing with her that he'd never think twice about...

"Even my own personal handmaid can't even force herself to be near me," he continued.

Dropping his hands, he tried to take a more casual stance against the stall. "Do you really want Brigette touching you?"

She actually let out a small huff of a laugh that made Jere's heart soar. "It would be better than her crossing herself to whatever gods she thinks are listening before she considers whether or not that's something she wants to do."

"Her loss then."

Alera did smile at that, but it didn't last long. She returned her attention back to the horse, petting her now that they both were calmer. "Can I just stay here? For a little longer? Going back means... I have to face my father. And this new life he's trying to create for me. And I'm not ready for that. Not yet."

Neither was Jere. "Of course you can stay," he assured her. "For as long as you need to."

Though, however long that could be, even Jere wasn't certain. Her presence alone was enough for him to forsake his daily responsibilities and spend every moment alone with her. He knew the stable master would not be pleased with that, and the last thing Jere needs right now is to be without a job, which would also mean without a home. And without Alera.

He thought fast, considered what else he needed to do for the day, and smiled. "I think I have something you can help me with."

Alera looked at him, and she actually seemed to light up. Like she was surprised and elated that she was needed. She was always needed... he wished she knew that.

But Jere nodded instead of elaborating on his feelings. "How would you like to make a new friend?"