Chapter Eleven

"Shit," Jere whispered as he turned to follow her gaze, and Palo pulled up next to them to assess their situation as well.

"Then is seems there is no way back," he observed. "Only forward."

Jere nodded to his father. "Then forward it is."

But even as the horses started to move forward, Alera's attention remained on the path behind them. She felt like they were being watched, and she was expecting something to happen.

That was when the four wolves appeared behind them, emerging from the dark forest onto their path. Their growls reverberated throughout the dark forest and before she could tell the others, Jere's father's voice boomed back to them.

"Just keep moving forward," he commanded, and so they had no choice but to follow. Not with the path behind them closed off and the wolves now additionally blocking it behind them. But even moving forward was becoming difficult, and the horses needed to move at a walking single file.

"Don't make any sudden moves," Palo warned again as he was forced to slow down, and it was all Alera could think about as she could feel the wolves watching her back like she was going to be their next meal.

"Every bit of this forest is dense and dark," Jere said under his breath, and she looked back at him as he too seemed to be looking around and assessing their whereabouts. "The stories weren't wrong—look."

He pointed to the path ahead of them... but no, not one path. Two. Then three. They seemed to split and diverge before her very eyes, with no certain way to tell them which was correct. They all looked the same.

"There's no turning back, that's for certain," he continued. "But I don't even know which way we should go from here."

Neither did she, she realized, even as she continued to feel eyes on her. A shiver along her spine had her turning around again—she knew Palo said no sudden movements, but she couldn't help it...

The four wolves who had blocked their path before were now following them. Not only following, but getting closer. She sucked in a breath as she forced herself to watch. But no longer were their growls coming from the pack, but if possible, an almost friendly demeanor. Like before was a warning to not turn back, and now they were escorting them forward.

"Which way do we go?" She heard Jere hiss, and it gave her an idea.

"I'll be right back," she told him as she was able to slide off the saddle and land on the forest floor.

"What—Alera? What are you doing?"

"I don't know," she admitted as she stood, brushing off her pants. "I know wolves to be dangerous, but something inside of me is telling me that this is part of being home. Like my heart is telling me it's free."

"Alera, wait!"

But she was almost making her wake towards the slowly approaching wolves.

She made sure her hands were out at her sides, to show them she had no weapons, and meant no harm. Taking Palo's words into account, she made no sudden movements, but she also did not feel fear.

At least, she did not until the wolves all at once charged towards her at full speed.

"ALERA!"

She had made a mistake, she realized, but only too late. She had just enough time to cross her arms over her face, a feeble attempt to protect herself, as the wolves leaped and jumped onto her, knocking her to the ground.

She waited for the searing pain of fangs tearing her flesh, of bones breaking and skin ripping... but instead there was the unexpected affection of wolf kisses and licks anywhere they could reach the skin of her face. She actually laughed in pure delight at the unexpected affection, despite the fear that coursed through her only moments ago.