Chapter Sixteen

Alera returned her focus back to the pond, as if starting hard enough would bring her mother back, but she knew it was pointless. When she heard Jere approached she viciously wiped at her eyes before he sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"You know... when I suggested we leave the castle to start a new life for ourselves, this was not exactly what I had in mind."

"So what did you have in mind?" She asked as she looked over at him.

"Nothing this dramatic, but I know now for certain that by continuing down this path, the only thing for us to do now is to become legendary."

She did laugh at that, but shook her head. "I never wanted to be a hero."

"Then what did you want?" He asked her softly.

She leaned into him, holding his gaze. "All that I ever wanted was you.

Jere held her stare for only a moment before he brought his free hand up to her face, cupped her cheek, and brushed his lips against hers.

Alera closed her eyes to the gentle kiss, but it wasn't what she wanted. Not after all that had happened. She didn't want gentle. She didn't want careful. She just wanted him.

So she in turned brought he hand up to his neck and pulled him closer to her, increasing the intensity of their kiss so suddenly, she heard a soft moan escape his lips.

It was like an unleashing.

His tongue met her with vigorous sweeps throughout the other's mouths as he gently lay her back on the moss covered greenery of the forest floor. Softer than the featherbed she had become accustomed to, she shifted to make room for him above her as she felt his legs between hers.

"Alera," he whispered like he was worshiping her, his lips dragging from her lips to her jaw and down her neck. She angled her neck for him, allowing him and any and all access to the skin he wanted to kiss, all while she worked at his shirt, pulling it up and over his head. She wanted to see him, to touch him, to feel him, and even taste him.

He broke their kiss so that he could kneel up and toss his shirt aside, looking down at her in a way she had never seen him look at her before.

Absolute and uncensored desire.

Slowly his hands came to the ties of her shirt, pulling them open one at a time almost painfully and torturously slow.

"Jere," she growled, almost like a plea, just as the final tie had come undone and removed, exposing a decent portion of her breasts to him from beneath her shirt.

"Have I told you how beautiful you are?" He breathed out as his finger traced the plumpness of one breast and then the other.

Alera's breath caught in her throat and she almost forgot how to speak. "Even if you have, I won't stop you now."

He gave her a smile that sent heat straight through her core, amplified once her leaned down and brought his lips to the curves of her breasts.

She let out a soft moan of his name as her fingers tangled in his thick hair, and it only seemed to encourage him further. Releasing one breast from its material confines, his mouth found her nipple and began sucking as the other hand reached beneath her shirt and gripped the other.

Her breath caught in her throat and she arched up into him as he touched her, sucked on her. She closed her eyes to the pleasure of the friction that his calloused fingers created, and her body ached for more.

"Please, Jere," she all but begged. She didn't know what specifically she wanted, but she knew she needed more.

He didn have to ask because he didn't need to. Kneeling up just enough to pull at the hem of her shirt, she sat up and lifted her arms, assisting in removing it the rest of the way. The air of the forest may have once felt cool against her bare skin, but now she felt like she was on fire.