Chapter Nineteen

Cheers once again resounded throughout the village, followed by murmurs and conversations as its people immediately moved to action. Some began tending to the few who were injured while putting out the flames or the rare confrontation with the opposing forces. Others began fortifying the tree-like barrier that now kept them safe and secure from the threat of the outside world. Others still went about in an attempt of beginning the cleanup efforts, while more continued to prepare for that evening's communal bonfire. Like nothing had happened.

They had a victory in the woods because the forest itself expelled the prince by helping the fae people at Alera's wish. But Nicholas' threat continued to ring within the Princess' mind.

She tried distracting herself by working with the fae, cleaning or building for what good she was worth, while Jere helped with the healing and animals that were expelled from the burning forward towards the village with nowhere else to go. But it was no use for her weary mind.

The Prince's retreat toward the castle, regardless of the reason for it, made Alera fear for her father's life even more so. When she initially chose to leave with Jere, if she had any insight that Nicholas would have done anything like this to her father or her people, she never would have left. When she had met him, he bare;y gave her the time of day. For all she knew, he only wanted what their kingdom had to offer, not the actual lives of the people who lived within it.

But she knew he wouldn't have done this alone. Even with his powers and his ambitions, he still did not know the people of Palazia like she had. He would have needed assistance, the help of people who did if she was not there to be coerced. She needed to know what he offered Brigette and Xavier. What power they craved and favor they desired to betray not only their king, but their whole kingdom.

She recalled the conversation in her room— those painful hours she wished she could forget. Brigette and Xavier believed they would be tossed aside once Alera was gone. Not that Alera would have wanted that to happen, at least not until she discovered their treachery. Now she knew it was only them to blame for what was happening...

Them and her.

But what if Jere was right and it was all a trap just to lure Alera back to Palazia and away from the safety of the forest her mother once called home? From the people who so willingly accepted her rather than shied away from fear that one touch would curse them. Could she be putting them in as much danger remaining here with them, or leaving them behind?

The conflicting questions haunted her while she finished her tasks helping to restore the village as best as they could while daylight remained. And where others went to begin preparations for the bonfire, she trudged back to their borrowed hut, her feet feeling heavier with each step. Only when she had entered and saw Jere sitting on the edge of his bed lacing up his boots after a recent bath and change did she collapse onto his bed next to him and lean against him, her head resting on his shoulder while she closed her eyes and allowed the weight of the world to finally fall over her.

He didn't say anything— he didn't have to. He only wrapped his arms around her and held her close until words were necessary. But that was how it always was with Jere. Speaking wasn't required when they were together, and perhaps that was a better explanation of what love truly was.

Regardless of how they felt for one another, Alera sat up and looked at him. Looked over his beautiful face framed by his dark waves and she wanted to just run her hands through them. But it was not the time. Not with the burden she carried.

"I have to know the truth," she said softly, wearily. "I can't allow my people to pay the punishment for my decisions. It's not fair to them... it's not fair to anyone."