Chapter Thirty-Three

While waiting for a response from a representative from Abignor about the upcoming charges regarding their prince, Xavier's trial took place as scheduled the next morning.

As was customary, the king oversaw the proceedings, as it would be his responsibility to provide judgment based on the testimony, evidence and recounts given throughout the trial. On his right sat Alera, and behind her stood Jere. On his left was an empty space where his advisor once stood— an obvious reminder of the treason that was committed against their kingdom.

One by one, witnesses were brought in to confirm Xavier's involvement with Nicholas' plans to overtake Palazia, its king, and its people. Alera was just the first step in the process, it seemed, for numerous other minor advisers, servants and guards confirmed that it was Xavier who had had meetings with the Prince before Alera's engagement was ever announced, and with conspiracy after conspiracy stacking up against the king's former adviser.

Then there were the people of Palazia— the farmers and merchants whose livelihood was destroyed because of what Xavier and Nicholas caused. The destruction of homes that were still being rebuilt and crops that may never grow in the dead land again. Alera made a mental note that when this was done, she would see what she could do about curing the land. If she had these magical powers and couldn't do something else good with them, then what would they be used for?

Even Alera was asked to testify what she knew about Xavier's involvement with Nicholas and his many acts of treason against their kingdom. Once again she had to recount the events that transpired while she was hidden beneath her bed, this time maintaining her composure as she explained what she had heard and what it meant for her kingdom. She told those gathered about what she had seen when she was with the forest fae— how both Xavier and Brigette had joined Nicholas in the attempted destruction of her mother's people, and the subsequent discovery of Brigette being left for dead thereafter.

But no evidence was more damning than what Brigette provided. The entire room fell silent as she entered, her head held high as she walked down the center aisle to take her seat next to the scribe who was recording the entire timeline of events. To him she whispered what had happened from the moment Xavier approached her about Nicholas' plans, utilizing her position to get close to the princess, and assisting the prince of Abignor to infiltrate Palazia and undoubtedly overthrow its ruling family.

When asked about the injuries she had sustained, Brigette explained that Xavier and Nicholas had used her to find the princess, as if her presence there would be more welcoming otherwise, but when Alera escaped their attempts in the forest, they decided there was no more need for her assistance. Xavier stood by while Nicholas string her up, and they both watched as she struggled, leaving her for dead.

Alera watched Brigette while she recounted her endeavors, and not once did the woman look at Xavier, or did her voice waver, or did she cry. Her attention was focused solely on the scribe, the king, and at times, Alera. It was then that Alera knew for certain, if she wasn't already convinced, that Brigette was telling the truth, and had meant what she said through not only the scribe during the trial, but also through Hevea in his letter.

Mercy. Redemption. Forgiveness. They were all capable of it. When it was deemed necessary and worthy of such a thing.

Once Brigette's testimony was completed, she was allowed her leave, but she remained at the back of the room, as if she too was interested in how the remainder of the trial would play out. Before judgment could be rendered, however, Xavier had the right to speak on his own behalf, which he took more than willingly, as though believing the weight of his words would outnumber the damning evidence brought against him.

As Alera expected, he tried to convince his king that he was no more than a pawn under the control of Nicholas' evil powers. That it was all Nicholas and Brigette who had convinced him that it was for the good of Palazia, threatening his life if he did not go along with their plans. As for Brigette's accusations that he assisted in her attempted murder, Xavier insisted that he wasn't there, that he had run away from Nicholas once he knew Alera had gotten away safely. He hadn't even known what had become of Brigette until he saw her just moments ago right there in that room.

The disgraced advisor even went to far as to attempt to blame Alera for the additional destruction that occurred to the kingdom. That once the first caught it was near impossible to extinguish, and that dark flame carried over to the poor citizens of Palazia all because Xavier was doing what he thought was the best for his king and his country...

Xavier was charged with treason against the Kingdom of Palazia. Though the normal sentence would have been to the death, Alera asserted that there had been far too many casualties to add one more, and that a more fitting punishment would be to have him rotting in the cells of the kingdom he once felt so strongly about he would have betrayed everyone who mattered to him.

The former advisor was outraged, of course, and all semblance of neutrality disappeared as his fate became evident. There was no longer a filter as he began spewing slurs and insults at the king, Alera, and Brigette. Even as Jere had the guards carrying him away, one on each limb, through the castle and back down to the dungeon cells, Xavier was in denial and that there would be a resolution showing he was innocent.

Even as they walked past Nicholas' cell, did Xavier plead to the captive prince as he watched him through the bars of his own cell. The Prince of Abignor merely watched, remaining quiet while the disgraced advisor was carried away.

Once Xavier was secured and guarded in his cell and Jere had to pass by Nicholas' cell to exit, he paused. He knew he could have just kept walking— knew he should have— but after everything that transpired during the day, he couldn't remain quiet any longer.

"Are you pleased with yourself?" He asked the prince.

"Is there any reason I shouldn't be?" Nicholas countered.

"Is this what you wanted?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Jere snarled, like the wolves that followed Alera wherever she went. "Your time will come. And no one will be able to talk you out of it this time because there will be no one left for you to manipulate."

Instead of an answer, he swore he saw the dark prince merely smiling from the shadows.

***

Alera and Jere were awoken the next morning by two guards frantically pounding on her bedroom door. When asked what was wrong, they insisted they needed to follow them because words could not describe what they had seen.

The princess sensed something was off the moment she entered the dungeons, a familiar magical prickle running along her skin like she was out in the snow without her cloak. As they descended the stairs, the sensation grew, until he hair was standing up on end while she was standing outside of Nicholas' cell.

Or rather, the cell that at one time held Nicholas.

The cell itself was empty, and Alera and Jere were let in once the guard unlocked the door from the outside. The wall however... it was gone. Completely and absolutely decimated as if an explosive had been detonated and taken the earth with it. Because outside of the wall was a hole, dug down and in, as if to pull Nicholas out of the cell and up to the surface. Had he escaped? Had he had more help than Brigette and Xavier when he was free? The guards swore there was no noise, no explosion, no sounds of struggle. They shows them that the rubble from the wall was carried away, stone by stone, while the earth outside looked like a sinkhole had engulfed what was left.

As they were led through and out the hole in the ground, the guards continued to update them on their findings. There were other guards already stationed outside, as well as on patrol looking for the escaped prisoner. But there were no footprints to be found, only marks dug deep into that earth that looked like something heavy was being dragged and pulled the distance from the dungeons to the forest. Once tracked to the wooded border between the kingdom and forest, everything stopped. There were no more drag marks. No more disturbed earth. As if nothing had happened and the prince had just vanished.

Even the wolves, who had conducted their own extensive search of the area on both sides of the forest, could not pick up Nicholas' scent.

The missing prince was enough for Abignor to finally send a representative on his behalf. Abignor was convinced Palazia had something to do with the disappearance of their prince, while Palazia accused Abignor of sending this prince not only to infiltrate their kingdom, but also for breaking their prince out of their dungeons, and denying them the right to a trial for the wrongs done to them.

The conflict between the two kingdoms would remain a problem Alera knew she would have to one day handle during her reign, years later, especially since Nicholas of Abignor was never found nor heard from again.