Chapter 8: Another Sad Story

Night had descended upon the swamplands, and with it, so had a dense and thick fog. The cool mist on Abigail's skin was strangely calming to her. She unpacked her things and set up a camp near the water's edge. As she sat down and gazed up at the stars, she suddenly found herself thinking about a memory she had a couple of years before her coronation as the Nether Princess.

* * *

   "Enjoying the view?"

   Abigail looked back at Rain as he walked out onto the balcony of their home in Glacierford. "The stars are beautiful tonight."

   "Not as beautiful as you are," Rain replied, getting a laugh out of Abigal.

   "Gosh, you're such a cheese."

   Rain went up to the railing, taking Abigail's hands while looking deep into her eyes. "You know, it's a shame that I'll have to kill you someday."

   "W-what?" Abigail's smile immediately turned to a frown.

   "Well, you see, Abi, you've gone down a path I can't follow. Frankly, I feel betrayed. Was our relationship that meaningless to you?"

   The environment around Abigail began to melt and take the shape of Glutton's fortress in the Nether. At the same time, her grass block hoodie and striped pants morphed into the black dress and long, white skirt: the clothing of the Nether Princess. "Rain, you're scaring me."

   "Oh, you're one to talk about not scaring people, Abigail! I saw you DIE! And then what? You come back and try to kill ME!" Rain's voice began to sound demonic, while his outfit shifted to the armor he wore when he stormed the Nether, except this time, blood coated his chest plate, and his eyes were a soulless black color.

   [What the hell is this?!] Abigail thought to herself, [Why are my memories being twisted?]

   "You can't keep me out forever, dear Nether Princess," Abigail heard a taunting voice, much like her own, come from behind Rain.

   Then, a figure stepped out from behind him, which looked just like Abigail except that the colors of her clothing were inverted, her scleras were black with glowing white pupils, and the horns on her head glowed yellow.

   The most morbid feature of this Nether Princess lookalike was the copious amount of blood around her chest and neck, accompanied by a massive stab wound on her chest.

   The horrifying reflection of Abigail approached her as Rain started to deteriorate, the flesh melting off his body and exposing his very withered bones. His eyes dissolved too, leaving behind his skeleton, standing upright and swaying side to side every-so-slightly. The sight horrified Abigail as she realized she may have done far worse than killing Rain.

   She cursed him.

   "What are you?! WHO are you?!" Abigail screamed at her clone.

   The clone laughed at Abigail as the wither skeleton-Rain began to stagger towards Abigail, his diamond swords appearing in his hands. The stagger became a trot, and the trot became a jog, which became a run. The boney replica of Abigail's lover was now in a mad dash towards her.

   Finally, the clone opened her mouth to speak.

   "You and I have known each other for a while, Abi, ever since your mother "introduced" us. We'll talk more later, honey! I'll leave you and Rain to have some alone time!"

   Those last two sentences shook Abigail to the core. The withered Rain leaped towards Abigail, screaming as he brought both his swords down on Abigail.