Chapter 32

The first week back for students was busy, trying to keep up with the rapidly piling work, as well as those on quidditch teams having more frequent practices, the third match of the season being Ravenclaw versus Slytherin in late February.

The Marauders and maraudetts were some of the busiest students in the school, between school work, quidditch, head and prefect responsibilities, pulling small pranks to lighten the mood, and one member working on a secret potion.

"How did you guys manage to stand this?" Lily asked at lunch one day.

"Stand what?" Sirius asked.

"Having this damned leaf in your mouth." Lily said.

"We just used a sticking charm so it would stay out of the way." Sirius said as he filled up his plate.

"Really?" Lily asked, astonished.

"Yeah." James said as he sat down next to her. "And made sure to spice or sweeten things up to get over that leaf taste."

"That explains why you guys spent that month going super spicy and sweet." Lily said, remembering back to fourth year.

"Yup." Peter said. "The sweet I didn't mind, the spice I did."

"We know." Sirius said and the table erupted with laughter. As everyone kept laughing, a small note floated down in front of James.

"What's that?" Remus asked.

"Note from Dumbledoor." James began after opening the note up. "He wants us to meet at his office at eight tonight."

"Lesson one." Sirius said before being loudly hushed, as well as Marlene smacking him on the back of the head.

"Wonder what it's about." Remus said out loud to himself.

"I don't know, but we'll find out tonight." Frank said, trying to keep his excitement down.

"Who's got patrol tonight?" James asked Lily.

"Kingsley and Francine." Lily said after thinking it over for a moment.

"So we shouldn't run into those we don't want to." James said. Everyone decended back into normal conversation as they finished lunch before everyone headed for their afternoon classes.

After dinner everyone met outside the door to Dumbledoor's office, excited to see what they were doing.

"Good evening everyone," Dumbledoor said after he opened the door. "Come inside." Dumbledoor lead everyone into his office.

"So, I have no doubt that you all are excited and curious as to what we are doing tonight." Dumbledoor began. "I know you have all produced a fully fledged pratronus charm by now. Now we obviously all know that the charm is used as a shield to fend off demantors, but I have figured out, after a long amount of time, a way to use the charm to send messages. Now, it is tricky, so do not be disheartened if you cannot perform it immediately." Dumbledoor then began the lesson, everyone producing a patronus, but only Remus, James, Lily, and Dorcas were able to get any sort of message transferred through their patronus after over an hour of practice.

"I will see you all again for a lesson in a few weeks." Dumbledoor said. "I won't be teaching it though."

"Who will be?" Sirius asked, curious.

"You will have to come to find out." Dumbledoor replied with a wink.

"What are your bets?" Sirius asked the others as they headed to the door together.

"A quick word, Ms. Evans, before you leave." Dumbledoor said as everyone was leaving his office.

"I'll meet you outside." Lily said to James, giving him a kiss on his cheek. "What can I help you with, Professor?"

"There's nothing at the moment," Dumbledoor began. "I just wanted to tell you to be very careful with and disastrous consequences."

"I know, I'm being extremely careful." Lily said, confused how Dumbledoor seemed to know what she was up to.

"I know." Dumbledoor said. "Still amazed that those four were able to do it at such a young age."

"What four?" Lily asked, trying to hide her shock.

"The four marauders." Dumbledoor said with a wink. "So, do you have any guess or wish on what your form will be?"

"I did some research on it." Lily said. "I'm guessing it'll be a doe, like my patronus. Never really thought about what I wish my form would be."

"That would make sense." Dumbledoor said, tapping one of his fingers on his chin. "Mr. Potter, Mr. Petergrew, and Mr. Black all have the same patronus and animagus forms, Mr. Lupin being practically the same, although with an unfortunate difference. A difference he always seems to shame himself with, even though it is not his fault."

"I think that's because of the culture and perception of werewolves which causes him to view himself as a monster." Lily said, pitying her friend.

"That is an unfortunate truth, I believe." Dumbledoor said. "I believe we made those who are werewolves become violent as they were already perceived to be that way. However, it is too late to continue this philosophical discussion, and I don't wish to keep you from Mr. Potter much longer, so I bid you a goodnight Ms. Evans."

"You too, Professor." Lily said before she walked out.

"What's wrong?" James asked, noticing Lily seemed a little off when she walked out.

"He knows that your four are animagi, and that I'm doing it right now as well." Lily whispered to James, who didn't seemed as alarmed as she thought he would be.

"Can't get anything past him." James chuckled. "I remember when we tried to pull that prank on him back in second year."

"Was that when you tried to make his chair run away with him in it?" Lily asked, trying to remember to a dinner back in second year.

"Yeah, it worked sorta." James said. "He said he had to cast imobulus immediately to stop his chair from moving, that's what he showed us when he kept us after dinner."

"That's why he kept you guys." Lily said. "Always thought it was to scold you guys, but it didn't stop you guys from continuing all the pranks."

"No, he asked us to make sure they didn't harm people." James said. "He said the pranks were a good way to get people to laugh, something that sometimes is very needed."

The two got back to their room and worked on homework for another hour, until they dragged each other up to bed, falling asleep almost as soon as their heads touched the pillow.