Exerpt

As I walked out of the Drug Rehab Centre in Oceanside, I was greeted by the sun shining in my face and my sister Camille holding a bouquet of flowers, her olive skin shining in the heat of the California sun.

"Its good to have you back, I've missed you so much." She pulled me into a bone crushing hug before she helped me load my bags in the trunk of her beat up old car.

"I've missed you too. It's been so long since I've seen the outside world." We hopped into the cab of her car as she handed me the flowers she had gotten me.

"It really has been such a long time," she pulled out of the parking lot and headed in the direction of her house on the beach. Camille was a hard-working bartender and business owner. She owns her own dive bar with the help of her business partner Billy. With her income she was able to afford a lavish home with beach views.

Once we pulled up, she grabbed my bags and unlocked her front door for me to follow her in.

"So, I do have to work tonight, but after the girls have finished on stage, you'll have me all night long. We can have a few drinks and then get food on our way home and watch crappy movies." I nodded at her as she showed me the room that she had converted for me to live in. she nodded as I sat on the bed in the centre of the room.

I watched as she backed out of the room. I looked around at my new room, everything seemed new, and I didn't know how to take it all in. I had been in rehab for last 12 months everything was so different for me now. I had been sober for a year now no more drugs running through my veins. Camille and I had lost our mother 6 months ago and I couldn't even get a day pass to attend her funeral. I pulled out a photo frame from my bag. In the picture two little girls smiled up at me with an older woman behind the girls. My beautiful mother was the one who made me get help. She was the reason that I pushed myself to get better so I could come home to her. And now I'll never be able to see her beautiful smile again. I watched small tear drip onto the frame as I placed it on the side table and started to unpack my bag.