Part Six

Luke P.O.V

As I stood on the bus in my uniform reserved for special occasions I thought over whether this was a good idea or not. I watched Callie's heart break yesterday when Cassie told her, I hated the feeling that gave me but I needed to do this. Not for me, not for Cassie but for Callie. I wouldn't allow Johno to get to her again.

The bus trip to Cassie's wasn't too far from Frankie's. So I didn't have a lot of time to try and talk myself out doing this. I looked down at the text Cassie had sent me last night; 'Callie wont be there, I'm the third floor apartment in The Oceanside apartments.' Finding the right building I walked along the side before stopping at the bottom of the steps.

'I'm here.'

I started down at my phone as I waited for Cassie to come down from her apartment. I heard the door open and close before I lifted my eyes up from my phone.

"No." I said looking at what she was wearing. We couldn't get married with her wearing shorts and a crop top.

"What?"

"You cant wear that." She looked down at what she was wearing while she stayed up by her apartment.

"Why?"

"Because we're taking wedding photos. You have to dress a certain way." The more I looked at her the more I didn't want to do this. She rolled her eyes at me, this has got to be the third time she's rolled her eyes in less than a minute.

"Really?" I sighed really regretting doing this now.

"No, I'm coming up." I shook my head and walked up the steps to her apartment. Once I got up to Cassie she turned around to me blocking the entrance to her apartment.

"Theres no fluffy virgin white wedding dress in there, commando."

"Stop calling me that." Only Callie can. She turned around and walked to her door. She reached for a broken off doorknob before unlocking her screen door and walking in.

"Make yourself comfortable." She threw her bag onto a chair as I looked around the apartment. Simple, minimalistic. A home I would be happy to call my own honestly. I knew she didn't have it all that great either though and could barely afford this place. I noticed a keyboard and a guitar in a sunroom off her bedroom as I looked.

"Do you play?" I asked her as I pointed in the general direction. She stopped sorting through her clothes.

"No, its just to impress guys." I chuckled nervously. "You impressed?" She chuckled. "I'm a musician, its what I do. My band and I have been working at it for like, five years."

"That's gotta be rough."

"Rough would be punching the clock a some soul sucking job while I'm just making the rich richer. I'd rather hustle for my art any day." I turned around as I heard hangers being moved in the closet. From the vanity mirror in her room I could see that she had taken off her shirt, her tattoos on full display as she switched out what she was wearing.

"Uh, hi." She kicked the door to her bedroom door closed as I quietly apologised.

"So what does the tattoo say? 'Socialism now'?" She laughs, she has a good laugh.

"You're really clever. No it says 'no arriesgues nada, no ganes nada'."

"Someone, something ..." I never learnt Spanish, Callie and I would always skip that class.

"Risk nothing, gain nothing. It's something my grandma said to my mom when she moved to America." I felt myself smile, even though she couldn't see it. I heard the bedroom door creak open and turned around. "Hello, my prince." She stood in a white dress, not the kind of dress I would have thought would be appropriate for a wedding, but it didn't really matter. This wasn't a real marriage anyway. "Today is the day that our credit scores shall be intertwined." I nodded and followed her out of the apartment, this time more pleased with her wardrobe choice than before.

When we got out of the car at city hall I was thankful to be out of that cramped space with Cassie. The silence was deafening.

"You know you really look the part now." I tried breaking the silence as we walked up to the front door that seemed like it was getting bigger and bigger. Almost big enough to swallow me.

"What does that mean?"

"You look pretty." I played with the buckle on my belt as I said it. She did look pretty, I just wish I would have been waiting for someone at the end of an isle instead of doing this here, with the wrong girl.

As we walked in other couples were exclaiming excitedly, this was the best days of their lives, and I felt like this was a death sentence. I saw Frankie sitting in his formal attire. Same as me, he was twirling his hat in his hands as he waited. I followed behind Cassie as she reached out to hug Frankie.

"Hi. Thank you for coming."

"Of course."

"Oh, did you get rings?" Cassie looked at me as I stared forward. I had a ring, a ring I kept with me all the time, one I've had since I was a teenager. I didn't want to use that one and I looked at Frankie.

"Yeah, I did." I pulled the ring off my tags and handed it to Cassie to inspect.

"This was supposed to be for Callie, wasn't it?" She asked me as she held the delicate piece of jewellery in her fingers. I nodded abashedly. "No, Luke, I cant accept this one. I'll get another one while your away." She tried to push it back into my hands when our names were called. I shook my head and walked in, Cassie falling into step beside me cursing under her breath.

"We are gathered here today to join you two together in lawful matrimony." We stood in front of the podium, Frankie behind us holding his phone up capturing the entire ordeal. Not something I really wanted to have documented, but we needed to make this look as real and normal as possible. "And your witness today?"

"Frankie." Cassie said as she turned slightly to point at him. He turned the camera around to show his face. I don't know who was going to see this but I really hoped no one would.

"Luke Morrow, do you pledge to love this woman, to be true and loyal to her, and to comfort and keep her in sickness and in health?" I swallowed thickly. No.

"I do."

"Cassandra Salazar, do you pledge to love this man, to be true and loyal to him, and to comfort and keep him in sickness and in health?" She glanced at me. I looked down at her. Her brown eyes breaking away to shine green. I blinked quickly, ridding myself of those thoughts.

"I do."

"By the power vested in me by the great state of California," I placed the ring on Cassie's finger tears welling up in my eyes that I blinked away as quickly as they came. Cassie placing the ring on my finger. "I now pronounce you husband and wife." Cassie and I looked at each other stunned. We really did this. "You may kiss the bride."