Part Five

Luke P.O.V

After I dropped Callie off back at Frankie's I dialled the number I had hoped I would never use again.

"You gotta pay me or your little girlfriend is going to get a lot more than she bargained for with getting sober."

"Alright hear me out. I'm gonna pay you. I... I know how."

"How? How do you plan on keeping her away from me when you're the reason she came crawling to me in the first place?"

"I met this girl who needs health insurance. And if we get married, I get extra money each month from the military. And I will give you my cut. Okay? Just stay away from Callie, she doesn't need this."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. It's gonna be fine."

"so be smart, this better work. Enjoy your honeymoon." After that the dial tone rang in my ear. I took a deep breath and took off for the dive bar in town, I hoped that Cassie was there I needed to talk to her.

"No sorry, she isn't here, but maybe try the diner, she likes to write down there sometimes." The waitress from the other night told me. I took off for the diner and found Cassie looking out the window thoughtfully. I tried to gain courage to do what I was about to do. I needed to do something about this debt I had with Johno, I wouldn't let him go anywhere near Callie ever again and I would do everything in my power to stop him from going after her.

I finally got enough courage to walk in and sit down with her. When she saw me she started to pack up her things. I looked around making sure this is what I wanted to do. If I didn't go through this he would take it out on Callie. Everything I owed him would come out of her. She would be right back where I left her before I went to rehab. I took another deep breath, her face flashing in my mind. Before I took tentative steps towards Cassie.

"Hi."

"Hi." This was going well already. I could tell she didn't want to be here anymore than I did.

"Please don't go, just hear me out."

"What do you want then Luke?"

"I want to discuss this marriage thing."

"Is your dad waiting in the parking lot to cuff me?" She joked. Oh so wee playing that game. I guess I am the asshole that went off at her about how illegal this was.

"Funny." I chuckled. "If we do this, if, we need to be very careful. Alright? We need a story. You and I didn't get along in the bar the other night. The others saw that, but the next night, I was very charming and persistent, and I convinced you to go out with me."

"You did?"

"Hmm."

"Was it hot? When you asked me out?" She snorted.

"Very."

"I'm sorry I'm just gonna need you to explain yourself, because just this morning you were lecturing me on how this is fraud, so..."

"It is fraud. I don't wanna do this."

"Okay, so... don't." she countered trying to see me crack under pressure. I couldn't let her know I was doing this for Callie.

"Believe me. If I had any other choice, I wouldn't be. Marriage should be for love." She chuckled.

"You mean marriage should be saved for Callie?"

"And where I come from, its for life." I ignored her Callie comment, I'm sure anyone with eyes could see how bad I have it for Callie, except maybe Callie.