21. a ferret baby and a suicide.

T W E N T Y - O N E
a ferret baby and a suicide.

If you gave someone twenty-four hours to watch JJ's daily routine and then asked them if they thought he'd be a good father they'd laugh in your face.

This is what his day looked like:

1. Wake up at midday.

2. Drink a beer.

3. Have a shower.

4. Maybe show up at school.

5. Come home and smoke a blunt

6. Have a nap.

7. Hang out with his friends and get even more drunk and high

8. Fall asleep in the wee hours of the morning, then rinse and repeat.

JJ was a trainwreck, and that was putting it lightly.

He had a criminal record; petty theft, and not to mention the felony destruction of property.

He was dependant on drugs and alcohol to get him through the day.

And he had anger issues.

While you have to take ownership for your own actions, some of the blame - especially when you're young - can be shifted on how you grew up. And who you grew up with.

And JJ grew up in just about the worst environment you can.

Luke was an impressively bad father, he beat his son black and blue, he stole from his son and genuienly wouldn't have cared if JJ died.

And JJ hadn't seen his mother since he was a kid, Ola fucked off with some rich man and the last he knew she had more kids with him.

He didn't have any parents he could emulate. He didn't have good parents, he didn't have siblings, unless you counted the half-silblings he never met, he never met his Aunts or Uncles or cousins.

It was just him.

Big John also wasn't an upstanding father, for just about the entirety of John B's life he was off in his own world searching for the gold. And John B's mum died when he was a baby.

Heyward was a good father, but the problem was Heyward really didn't like JJ so he never saw that side of Heyward. Pope's mum was nice though, but he never really saw her.

As for Kie's parents, he could count on one hand how many times he'd met them.

So when he got that text that informed him that he not only got someone pregnant, but that he got Otto pregnant he was terrified.

He was cold, distant and a absolute dick to her.

And what it took to snap him out of his shitty behaviour was watching her get torn apart by her ex boyfriend - an ex boyfriend JJ knew the history with - but even that wasn't instantaneous, it took him over twenty minutes for him to get out the car.

To say he liked Otto was an obscene understatement, while he didn't know it quite yet, he was completely in love with her.

He cared about her more than he cared about himself, he would've done anything for her.

For months Otto was all he thought about, he spent as much time with her as he could. And when she wasn't there he thought about what made her laugh or smile, what she liked and didn't like. He thought about how she made him laugh. He thought about her sarcastic, dry sense of humour, and the way she perfected the glare.