Part 26

Alberu was really just trying to buy a tiny bit of time to get his head on straight. To find an answer to this quagmire before he impulsively gave everything away.

He just wanted to get his head right.

He had every intention of sending word to Cale immediately and meeting him again at the soonest possible interval. He really did. He just needed a tiny bit of time.

He wasn't avoiding Cale, it was just a momentary tactical evasion. And it wasn't his fault that all the piled up work he'd neglected during his impromptu and unplanned vacation required his immediate and complete attention.

He really was not avoiding the issue. He was definitely not avoiding the issue. He was absolutely going to face Cale as soon as he figured out what the fuck he was going to say.

What Alberu in all his infinite wisdom had not grasped was that no amount of thinking was going to provide him with the perfect answer that he sought. There simply didn't exist the words that would perfectly solve the problem, preserve his secret, and treat Cale with the dignity and respect he deserved. He would have to give up one of these points and there wasn't any working around that.

But Alberu was a perfectionist in his heart of hearts and he really struggled to accept anything less. Also there might be the tiniest part of him that feared Cale's eventual wrath.

He doubted he could give a single answer that would spare him that.

Perhaps he'd let the days bleed into one another as he caught up on his work and perhaps he'd let the issue hang too long.

He suspected his aunt may have betrayed him as well but he as of yet had no evidence.

All he knew was once he'd returned to his office after a meeting with the nobility in the north regarding a rather tiresome trade agreement, he looked up from his paperwork to see no one other than Cale Henituse standing outside of his office.

Alberu didn't have the time to say a word before Cale closed the distance between them, dragged him down by the collar, and kissed him. Shamelessly mindless of the gasping attendant at his side.

He felt Cale smirk against his lips, his reddish brown eyes flashing victoriously and locked with Alberu's wide blue ones.

"Got you." He hissed, low and victorious.

Despite the panic running manic inside of Alberu, he couldn't help but find Cale unbearably attractive at that moment.

Before Alberu could gather his composure, Cale dragged him into the office and slammed the door on the gobsmacked attendants outside.

Cale very easily could have avoided such a public display but he'd chosen to create chaos in Alberu's life. Despite the annoyances that would surely be created by the display, Alberu really couldn't bring himself to be annoyed.

Cale pinned him to the door and it was the second time Cale had done such a thing. Alberu felt fear rightfully run down his spine.

"Have anything to tell me now, Bob?" Cale asked, his voice full of mocking spite.

Alberu really didn't.

What the hell could he say? Sorry? I can explain? I didn't mean it to go this far? I wanted to tell you but I couldn't find the words? See, me and Bob are actually cousins and so our lips are identical, also I totally know about you and Bob so can we go back to being strangers now?

Yeah. None of that really addressed Cale's reasonable rage appropriately. Especially that last one. That one might actually get him murdered. Just very murdered.