Part 29

It was a bit strange. Looking out of the balcony from the crown prince's bedroom.

Cale had spent plenty of time looking over the capital from his own bedroom window, thoughts on Alberu or Bob on his mind as he took in the gentle glow of the nightlife of the sprawling city around him.

Alberu had a better view but that was to be expected from the crown prince's palace. Cale sort of preferred his view though, solely because he'd been able to see the palace from there and he quite liked looking at it and thinking about just what the object of his affections was up to.

Then again, from here Cale knew exactly what he was up to.

Alberu wrapped his arms around Cale gently and hugged him close. Cale closed his eyes and leaned into the embrace with a blissful smile overtaking his face.

Much of his relationship with this complicated and stupid asshole had happened within the confines of Cale's bedroom. It felt fitting that they moved to Alberu's bedroom for once.

"What's on your mind?" Alberu's voice was affectionate. Cale liked it a lot. It held a different depth than the affection he'd experienced from Bob. Less hesitant.

"Ron's going to flip." Cale chuckled. "I told him I'd be back in about an hour."

"...not terribly optimistic." Alberu commented, kissing his cheek gently.

"Well, I figured I'd bite off your dick for toying with me and then make a break for it."

"...I'm seriously concerned over whether that was actually your plan." Alberu sighed, shaking his head but Cale could spot how he was smiling out of the corner of his eye.

Masochistic weirdo. Cale snorted and rested his back against Alberu's chest.

"Cale."

"Hm?"

"How would you feel about becoming the prince consort?"

Cale's eyes widened. "What?!" He turned around in Alberu's arms and looked at him like he was a madman. "What the fuck do you mean by that?"

His heart raced in his chest as Alberu leaned in, kissing Cale's lips chastely. "I love you."

Three sweet words that shouldn't hold any weight at all within any conversation. Anyone could fake those words, pretend to mean them and secretly hide a different agenda. Three words meant to convey an emotion that couldn't be conveyed with mere words. Strong and uncontrollable and overtaking and so addictive. Words that poured from the crown prince's lips with absolute sincerity.

Sweet and loving. Alberu's thumb gently brushed against Cale's cheek and his forehead rested against Cale's as he repeated himself. "I love you."

Words that didn't expect or need anything in return. No matter what Cale did or said, that love remained. Ardent and absolute.

Words that burst straight from Alberu's chest like the very beating of his heart. He kissed Cale's surprised lips and smiled against them.

"Love you so much." He murmured and Cale remembered that he was supposed to breathe. Blink. Think.

How much time had he spent thinking this is enough. When he first laid back on his bed, fluttery thoughts locked on the prince he'd met for the very first time and thought this is enough, this is all I need and sated himself with mere fantasies? When he kissed Bob in the moonlight and knew that there was no future to it but thought this is enough, if I can just kiss him? When he laid beneath Alberu, writhing and screaming his name and knew that they couldn't last and thought this is enough, so long as I can have him in the present the future doesn't matter?