Part 16: The LightKing's Visit

"Everything has Matematika in it. Sunflowers. Nautilus seashells. Temples. The Star constellation," Gajja taught the disciples. "With it, we draw our strength. Mindpowers in tune with the universe. With it, we build formidable temple structures. With it, we navigate our airships."

Everyone listened attentively to Gajja as they sat in the open amphitheater looking at the night sky. The stars were magnified through the SkyOcean. It was hard for anyone not to fall asleep lying on their back as they stared above, enjoying the warmth from sitting close to each other. Oja yawned and stretched. "Alright, that's enough for tonight," Gajja finished up and moved on to answer some questions from a group of younger disciples.

"Coming back to the dorm with me?" Oja asked Uma. She looked past Oja, took a quick peek at Arjana who was sitting close by. Oja caught the glance. "I think I might stay for a little longer," Uma said. Oja tried not to show any reaction. She stood up and left.

After Oja had walked away and disappeared from view, Uma turned and looked back at Arjana. He looked so at peace with himself, staring at the stars. She wished she was lying on his lap as they watched the stars together into the night. Suddenly, he turned and looked at her and smiled. She could feel his eyes wishing her good night.

The next morning, the entire academy was filled with anxiety, as the Light King was set to pay a visit. Everyone dressed as formally as possible, with weapons in ceremonial positions. Uma and Oja were tasked to carry the largest of the flags. They ran to join the assembly at the giant entrance. Everyone was there. Gurus. Monks. Disciples.

Oja watched as Uma raced up to stand beside Arjana. Uma took a quick glance at Arjana. He looked chivalrous with his bow and arrows and his pet eagle on his shoulder.

The arrival horn echoed through the air and the guards opened the giant wooden doors. The girls raised the Angkhora flags up high as the grunts of elephants and footsteps of a hundred soldiers filled the air, as they marched into the academy. The first few elephants carried supplies and guards, a giant white elephant trailed behind them, carrying the royal houdah. The Light King sat alone on the houdah and everyone bowed as the contingent marched toward the monastery.

RAMMA itself was designed in accordance with Divine Matematika. When it was built, the Monks moved every stone with mindpowers and followed the guidance of the Universe. The stones would fall into their natural intended positions. Built like a fort with giant walls, the Monastery sat at the center, holding ancient books, secrets, and the most powerful weapons in Angkhora. At the bottom of the Monastery, the book of Tripitaka the book of Light, floated at the center on a pedestal, holding everything in balance with its energy.

Everyone waited until Hannu and Gajja greeted the Light King and joined him to enter the monastery. They stood at ease, still in position, on guard after the Light King had entered the temple. As Arjana lifted his head, he saw a black crow took flight from a distant wall of the fort. His pet eagle jumped into the air and followed the crow. Uma saw how instinctive the eagle was, like it could read its master's mind.

Silence permeated the academy as the Council began their meeting inside the monastery.

"What do they usually talk about?" Uma whispered to Arjana.

He looked at Uma from the side of his eyes but kept silent.

Uma kept looking at him, expecting an answer.

"Ahem. What do they usually talk about?" Uma repeated her question, slightly louder, but still a whisper.

Arjana, standing with arms straight down, gestured with his palms to keep her tone down. "The Prophecy," he replied softly.

Uma heard the answer, looked straight forward, and thought to herself for a moment. Then she turned to Arjana again.

"The prophecy about...?"

"About the two princes," Arjana whispered.

Uma kept quiet and pondered for a moment.

"What's wrong with the two princes?" she asked.

"Ssshhh..." Arjana asked Uma to keep quiet.

The sun had moved to afternoon as the Council wrapped up their meeting. The assembly straightened their positions as the Light King came out from the monastery and climbed the steps up to his giant elephant. The Angkhora soldiers moved into position, preparing to lead the contingent back to the palace. As they marched toward the exit, the Light King ordered the soldiers to stop. He perched down from his houdah and said "Uma, my condolences. I am sorry to hear about your father and the destruction of Snake Clan. We will investigate. Thank you for joining RAMMA."

Uma was stunned, lost for words, and didn't know how to reply the King.

Oja, standing beside Uma, quickly answered for her friend "It is an honor to serve, Your Majesty." The Light King smiled at Oja, and the contingent continued with their march.

Oja looked at Uma, mouthing, WOW.

Before long, the eagle returned under the afternoon sun and landed back on Arjana's shoulder, communicating back what it saw. Arjana listened intently and his eyebrows frowned.

"Whatever it is that your eagle found, I am coming with you," Uma said.

Arjana walked away, refusing to continue the conversation.

Uma followed him and caught Arjana's hand.

"Uma, please." Arjana pushed her hand away. "I can't. I can't," he insisted.

Uma looked at him with sadness. "Why?"

"I have vowed to celibacy. Just like the monks."

Uma looked at Arjana puzzled. Celibacy?

"Something from the past.... a wound that is still healing," he said with a low voice, then walked away.

Longnie observed the body language of Uma and Arjana from afar, noticing the secret infatuation that had taken seed, thinking to herself. Will a complicated relationship weaken RAMMA's defence?