Part 28: Desire

The night came swiftly, the flicker of a low flame painted dancing shadows on the wall of the hut. Silence had long since overtaken the academy, and Arjana was grateful for the slumber, and even more grateful that Nya had taken so fondly to her new home. Still, there were things that felt unsettled, and he couldn't help the stirring in his dreams. He tossed and turned in his bed, feeling heat and cold washed over him all at once. But it's not Ishya this time.

He could see Nya running down a forest path, her surroundings darkened. He could hear screams and shouting but he couldn't make out from where or from who. Flames erupted, replacing the darkness with their sweltering orange embers all around. He spotted a village not far from the academy, with a crowd circling around something at its center. A man stood in the middle, spouting nonsense about magic, curses, and witches. As Arjana pushed his way through the crowd, he saw Nya in front of the man, her body tied to a stake. At the base of the stake was a pile of oil-dampened wood, meant to burn her. Still, Nya made no response. She grunted, trying to free herself from her bindings, but she could not break free.

"NYA!" Arjana shouted, pushing through the last few people at the edge of the circle as he rushed to her aid.

Flames burst out at her feet, engulfing her within an instant. He could feel the heat on his body, the flames licked at his very flesh, but he tried to get closer. Smoke and ash began to fill his lungs, forcing him to cough as his eyes could no longer make out her visage in the thick veil of black soot. He could hear her screaming in pain, desperate to aid her, yet he could not get past the wall of flames.

Arjana jolted awake. Two eyes stared at him, widened and mirrored, they looked hypnotized. "Nya...?" Arjana said with trembled breathing. The same warm smile graced her face just like when she had cooked for him for the first time. She was naked, with only the light of the flame to embrace her as she knelt by Arjana's bedside. Slowly her hands rose to his, her finger running along his arms as if to offer him some kind of tingling. He stared at those eyes. Are you trying to tell me something?

"Nya..." Arjana whispered, looking at the girl with softness. He could still feel the heat in his body, but he knew it was no longer from the fire but from passion.

He curled his arms around Nya, pulling her into his embrace as he rolled her into a passionate kiss. He moved from his bed, gently laying her into it as he lay over her, sliding himself between her legs as their bodies intertwined. Each kiss he laid upon her was echoed with the same passion and same ferocity. What hunger had been felt by each was soon satisfied in the dance they took together. Arjana slowed his intensity, gliding into Nya with gentle motions as her body echoed in response. Each thrust grew stronger and more forceful than the last until their mouths began to crave one another. Arjana's hands slowly reached for Nya's, guiding them above her head, kissing her deeply, his hips thrusting into her deeper and harder, until she trembled and moaned, building up into an intense wildfire, erupting into a consuming inferno.

Arjana shifted to the side, breathless. Both of them sweating and trying to catch their breath. Nya got up from the bed and Arjana's eyes caught the strangeness of her as she moved about the room. His eyes followed her as she put her clothes back on, his vision dreamy. He wasn't sure what he was seeing. Feeling his eyes staring, Nya turned, pulling herself into the darker side of the room, away from his prying eyes. He wanted to ask her something but couldn't. His mind just drifted and lulled him into deep sleep.

She didn't have a shadow.