Part 27: Nya

RAMMA looked glorious and magnificent, with its temple-roofs and tall pagodas as it emerged on the horizon. The guard at the watchtower on the East Gate spotted them approaching and alerted the guards at the main entrance.

"We need to give you a name," Arjana said to Mute Girl.

"Can I call you Nya?"

Mute Girl looked at Arjana.

"Nya." Arjana mentioned the name again.

Mute Girl smiled and nodded.

The guards opened the giant wooden door fortified with bronze to welcome back one of their top warriors. Torches lit the walkway. A few faces had begun to squint in the direction of the pair, trying to make out the stranger that was walking beside Arjana. It was a big change for Mute Girl, to walk from the quietness of the forest into an institution filled with inquisitive humans and asuras.

"Is that..." Cat Girl whispered.

"Arjana?" Tiger Girl finished her friend's sentence.

"Who's that with him?" Cat Girl asked, getting more inquisitive.

"A human girl... hmmmm?" Cat Girl purred.

"Did he leave with a girl?"

"No. He left alone," Tiger Girl said.

"Hmmm, who's she then?" Cat Girl purred.

"She's beautiful," she said, and her tail waved curiously.

Mute Girl felt the eyes lingering around her. It made her nervous. She slowly lowered her shoulder, letting her long-black hair drape like curtains to hide her face. Arjana could feel her discomfort as more voices whispered amongst themselves.

"About time you returned," a woman's voice called out from the courtyard. It was Longnie's, her hands folded at the back, standing regally beside Guru Hannu.

"Wait here," Arjana said to Mute Girl.

He walked up to Longnie and greeted both the Gurus. A long conversation ensued, Arjana explaining to Longnie and Hannu what had happened and how he found Mute Girl.

"Are you sure?" Longnie asked.

Arjana nodded, although there was some uncertainty in his eyes.

Longnie waved at Cat Girl to join the conversation. Cat Girl ran over, received instruction from Longnie, and walked back to Mute Girl with Arjana.

"This is Kat. She will show you to your room," Arjana said to Mute Girl.

"Hi. I'm Kat." Cat Girl smiled at Mute Girl.

Mute Girl looked at Arjana, shook her head side-to-side, showing her discomfort. She wanted Arjana to accompany her. "Don't worry, I don't bite." Cat Girl chuckled.

Arjana gestured to Longnie that he would be walking with Cat Girl to settle Mute Girl into her quarters. Longnie nodded and gave approval. Longnie watched as the trio walked deeper into the academy, studying the body language between Arjana and Mute Girl.

"Do you think we are preparing them enough?" Longnie asked Hannu.

Hannu pondered the question for a moment.

"You mean...?" Hannu asked.

"We teach them defense, offence," Longnie started to explain. "We teach them; be strong as a pack. Trust, relationship, comradeship."

"But how do we teach them about Love?" Longnie spilled her concern.

"You mean finding a life-partner? Hannu asked.