Part 26: Journey Back

They had packed up their tent in the early morning, Arjana choosing to carry much of their gear but quickly giving in when the girl insisted on helping. She practically began peeling the pieces off his pack, taking the extra blanket and pots from him and leaving him with little more than his bedroll, quiver, and bow.

Despite her lack of footwear, she didn't seem bothered by the various twigs and roots that scattered the forest floor. Her feet were hardened, and Arjana only assumed it had been from much of the way she lived, that the very soles of her feet had become like the soles of heavy footwear. Arjana, on the other hand, preferred wearing his boots whenever necessary. He wasn't so acquainted to the barefoot lifestyle and preferred the small twigs and rocks to stay within the forest and not in his feet.

He had explained before the journey that their path would be a long one, but she didn't mind, probably used to traveling long journeys already. She didn't seem to mind the time spent traversing steep hillsides and nearly impassable thickets. Her ears scanned the surroundings with deep interest; a pause offered for every creature that crossed their path along the way. It was refreshing for Arjana to see someone so at peace with the forest.

It didn't take them long to emerge from the forest and see the rolling plains before them. They had been close to the mountain base, but Arjana's knowledge of the trails took him to the quickest route out of the woodlands and onto the flat terrain before noon. He took pride in his ability to remember old maps and pathways, even when they shifted or changed under the weather. Rivers could dry and trails could be washed away by flooding, yet he'd remember his steps and each print he had left whether recent or long before. Arjana's eyes scanned the plains, looking for any signs of trouble, but the girl had already begun to move, taking long strides across the open fields without any hesitation.

"Do you know where we're going?" Arjana offered, catching up to her with a quick jog. The girl remained silent; her smile still plastered across her pale skin as she marched on. "I didn't think so," Arjana said with a light laugh. "We're heading to Chakra Lake. It'll give us the opportunity to properly recover before we head into more civilized lands."

Arjana rubbed the back of his head awkwardly, he hadn't much time to think about her story or where he'd even begin with the Gurus of the Royal Academy, but he hoped by then the girl might help him explain or at least provide him some clues to her background.

The sun was getting higher and warmer at noon. They paused halfway across to take a few swigs of the fresh water stored in their waterskins and stretched their limbs. Even after Arjana insisted the girl ease up on the supplies, she loaded herself up once more, her hands out, offering to take some of the burden from Arjana, just like before.

"I'm alright," he said, gently pushing her hands back.

She shrugged, smiling at him warmly, before shifting the weight of her items and carried on. They could see the glades before them, with the cattails surrounding the lake growing in size upon their approach. It would provide them with the means for some rest and relaxation before entering the city. The idea of a proper bath made Arjana smile, he'd forgotten how long he'd been out in the forest. A simple hunt had turned into more of an adventure than he had originally planned for.

A gentle mist carried through the air, caressing their cheeks with the coolness of its droplets. The sound of rushing water smashing against heavy rocks echoed in their ears with each step closer. The girl's eyes grew wide as the light mist hit her cheeks. She too could feel the freshness of the waters and rushed forward in pure instinct to embrace the waterfall.

"Hey!" Arjana shouted after her. "Wait up!"

The woman's joy was infectious; every bit of wonder and curiosity she held was infatuating for Arjana. She was carefree and pleased by the simplest of things, whether chirping birds or cooking a meal, she was happy, and Arjana couldn't deny it was a welcome difference from the despair and gray he'd been seeing as of late.

They tossed their packs aside, found a small inlet that led into the water gradually rather than having to dive through a mess of weeds and lily pads. Small deer, and even a lonely bear, soon departed when the sounds of beating footsteps approached the water's edge. They took little time in throwing off their clothes and diving head first into the cool refreshing waters of the waterfall.

Arjana dunked his head beneath the rippling surface, letting the water run through and clean the dust and debris from his black hair. He scrubbed off the days' worth of grime, sweat, and mud from his skin that had accumulated being in the woods for so long. He could feel a weight lifted off his shoulders as he did and slowly swam toward the waterfall, diving to get rid of it all in one final, forceful, wave.

The girl too had dived beneath the waters, surfacing further away than the last, hiding somewhere amongst the weeds. Arjana could only spot her on occasion as her black hair bopped up and down between the cattails that lingered at the water's edge. She emerged slowly, running her fingers through the tresses of her hair in some sort of odd cleansing ritual.

Arjana's eyes lingered, watching as she tamed the wild locks of her hair into long, silken strands. Her pale skin continued to glisten and mesmerize as the water dripped down her naked body. But the long scar around her neck still disturbed Arjana. It was slightly faded, which meant it wasn't from the village, but where had it come from? Had she been tortured or restrained for some time and only recently escaped?

The woman could feel Arjana's eyes upon her, as they dwelled a bit too long, and she looked at him through the crashing waves of the waterfall to see just what he was staring at. She could feel the intensity of his stare as it settled upon her neck. Quickly she cupped a hand around her neck, using her other hand to swim to the edge of the waters. She left quickly, grabbing her robe and wrapping it around herself while she swirled her hair to cover her neck.

Arjana's gaze dropped, finally feeling the impact of what his gaze had done. He quickly dove back into the water, away from the thunderous roar of the waterfall and toward the edge, where their clothing remained.

"I'm sorry," Arjana muttered, pulling his own naked body from the water and grabbing his clothing from the ground. "I didn't mean to stare."

The woman sat, rinsing the water from her hair slowly before turning toward Arjana, still blocking much of her neck from view. After several moments, she offered him a half-hearted smile, as if understanding his apology but still uncomfortable by the act in the first place.

"We... uh... should get going before nightfall," he quickly spoke, desperate to change the subject from his embarrassing gaze.

She nodded in reply, wrapped the sarong back on her body, and looked at Arjana, waiting for his next decision.

Arjana let out a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure if she forgave him entirely or not, and he wasn't quite satisfied in not knowing where her scar had come from, but they still had more important things to focus on, and making it to the academy before nightfall was one of them.