Chapter 1 - Dark Lord's Demise

"Tell me...have you nothing to say to your creator...before you strike him down?"

With one quick movement, the Doom Slayer impaled the Dark Lord through his exposed chest using his Doomblade. Knowing that this would be his end, Davoth didn't fight back. As the two locked eyes one last time, the Primeval saw the rage that burned in the Slayer's eyes. Davoth also noticed the insanity that had been afflicted upon him, a consequence of his eternal crusade in Hell. 

"No," the Slayer answered through gritted teeth.

The Doom Slayer then retracted the blade. The Dark Lord lost his balance and fell backward onto the arena floor. The Slayer took a step back and watched.  The Dark Lord opened his mouth and let out a loud, guttural roar as his life force escaped him. And The scream was heard around the world by people and demons alike. All demons remaining on Earth slowly disintegrated as their Lord was struck down. 

The Slayer put his arms up to cover his unprotected face as a wave of Hell energy struck him. The intense energy wave was powerful enough to push the Slayer back, almost causing him to falter. However, as quickly as it had appeared, the wave of energy dissipated. The deep red sky regained its natural color.  

As Davoth's eyes closed, many ominous visions clouded his mind, a prelude of what the future entailed. He saw the Doom Slayer tearing through hordes of demons. He witnessed a massive, armored Titan rising out of the ocean, causing gargantuan waves that capsized entire fleets of warships. And last of all, he saw the Slayer standing in a vast cavern, the steep walls collapsing in around him. A shame he wouldn't live to see it. 

The Slayer cautiously moved his arms back to his sides and looked on at the now dead deity. Blood seeped through Davoth's mech suit, His once glowing red eyes were now dull as all the energy had escaped him. His Life Sphere slowly levitated up from his suit, and then it exploded.

The Slayer turned around and walked over to retrieve his helmet. As he picked it up, he paused for a moment to inspect the red symbol burned into its surface. The Mark of the Beast, the demons called it. 

'What a fitting name,' he thought to himself.

The Doom Slayer donned his helmet and waited for all of its systems to go back online. Soon, he was greeted by a familiar voice.

"Welcome back Slayer. I'm opening a portal back to the Fortress of Doom now," VEGA spoke in his usual polite manner. "Also, the demonic invasion of Earth has been stopped. Congratulations, Slayer."

VEGA was the AI that had helped him on his journey through Mars. As thanks, Slayer decided to free VEGA and integrate him into his suit. For whatever reason, his AI companion could read his train of thought. But the Slayer was grateful that he could communicate with VEGA without talking. Plus, he could have VEGA speak to other people.

Before long, a blue portal opened up in front of the Slayer. After one last glance at the Dark Lord, he stepped through the portal. Instead of being greeted by the familiar atmosphere of the Doom Fortress, he was greeted with a dimly lit room. Metal walls were barely illuminated by a few flickering lights. The word UAC was plastered on nearly every wall. Blood and guts were scattered all over. Dead soldiers were sprawled on the ground, their weapons left to rust. 

VEGA now sounded worried. "This is strange...perhaps the coordinates I inputted were off."

The Doom Slayer turned around to walk back through the portal, only to find that it had closed on its own. Now he was on edge. He silently asked VEGA to open up a new portal. When VEGA spoke, he sounded a little hesitant. 

"Unfortunately, something about this place is stopping me from doing that. I don't seem to have the same functionality as I used to."

The Slayer sighed but decided not to press VEGA for answers. He began to explore the area, Super Shotgun at the ready. The room seemed to be a command center of some sort. Several screens displayed camera footage of different locations, although they were too blurry for him to make out any details. 

The itself ceiling was a stainless glass dome. The facility was situated in a dark cave of sorts, though a small opening in the cavern ceiling provided some light. The landscape outside suspiciously resembled Hell. The Doom Slayer ignored it and kept walking. He walked along the wall, searching for any doors that led outside. After a few minutes of walking, the Slayer stumbled upon a reinforced metal door. Upon further inspection, he discovered a keycard reader. 

"It appears you require a keycard of high enough clearance. Perhaps one of the dead sol-"

Ignoring VEGA, the Slayer took a step back and kicked the door. The steel buckled before snapping in half and flying backward into the pitch-black space. A loud, metallic CLANG could be heard as it struck something metal.

"...That also works," VEGA said after a moment of silence.