Chapter 3 - First Encounter

When the smoke cleared, dozens of lesser demons flooded through the blown open doorway. A Tyrant followed behind the horde, scanning the room with its beady yellow eyes. When its gaze landed on the Slayer, it growled with pure malice and hatred. The Slayer responded in kind with a menacing glare from within his helmet.

If looks could kill, the Tyrant and this entire army would've been dead by now. The Slayer felt the rage building up inside him. He remembered the Cyberdemon that had killed his fellow Marines. The attack on his hometown. He remembered his wife, his children, and...Daisy. He let out a growl as the rage fully consumed him, seemingly enhanced by his memories. These demons had taken everything he held dear from him. He shall rip and tear, until it is done.

The Tyrant immediately fired a barrage of rockets. The Slayer swiftly dashed out of their way and charged at the demons. With a single punch, he disintegrated several clueless Imps. Then he sliced a Soldier in half with his chainsaw and narrowly sidestepped a Marauder's axe. Three Barons of Hell were suddenly on his heels, lunging at him with their infernal blades. He fired an ice bomb at the trio using shoulder-mounted cannon, followed by two frag grenades. 

The Slayer then pulled himself onto a stack of crates and pulled out his chaingun. With the press of a button, the four groups of gun barrels separated, allowing for a higher rate of fire. He peppered the frozen Barons with bullets, tearing off flesh and revealing the raging inferno within their bodies. 

Seeing the Tyrant charging up its laser to fire at him, the Slayer switched from his steaming chaingun to his heavy cannon. As he held down the trigger, the twin racks shot dozens of micro missiles were at the Demon Lord. The Tyrant faltered as numerous explosions impacted its body, destroying the remaining flesh and exposing bone. However, the demon was still standing after sustaining all that damage.

A sudden burst of flames from under his feet forced the Doom Slayer to jump down from the high ground. Surveying his surroundings midair, he caught glimpses of lesser demons battling the Mancubus he'd fought earlier. The Slayer landed on one of the Barons, crushing its head beneath his boot. Quickly dashing to the next Baron, he sliced its head clean off with his Doomblade. The Slayer drew his Ballista and fired at the last Baron of Hell. However, the Marauder blocked the shot with its shield and charged at the Slayer, battle axe at the ready. 

One shot from the Super Shotgun utterly obliterated the Marauder's chest. That sent the demon stumbling backwards, clutching its chest in pain. The Slayer seized the opportunity and followed up with a shot from his Ballista, further mutilating the demon's body. The Marauder then dashed away from the Slayer and blocked a second shotgun blast.

An orange specter of a wolf suddenly appeared and ran to the Slayer's left side. While the Doom Slayer was distracted with the wolf, the Marauder sprinted forward and swung his axe down towards his opponent's shoulder. The Slayer gritted his teeth as his shoulder exploded with pain.

"Don't worry, it's not fatal. But you'll need a first aid kit to deal with the wound," VEGA suddenly piped up. 

When the demon followed up with a swing to the Doom Slayer's arm, a loud gunshot suddenly rang out. The Marauder's head jolted forward as a bullet flew right through, destroying half of its face. That sent the demon stumbling right into the Slayer's next shotgun blast.

When the Marauder regained his senses and tried to get in a third axe swing, he was shot by the Ballista. The battle axe flew out of the demon's hand, cutting through an unsuspecting Soldier before landing. Running up to the stunned Marauder, the Doom Slayer pulled out his Sentinel Hammer and leapt into the air. He channeled Argent energy into the hammer and slammed it into the ground, causing a few clueless Imps to explode from the resulting shockwave. This further staggered the Marauder, who the Slayer promptly stabbed to death. 

"I've detected an Archville to your left, Slayer."

Sure enough, the Archville stood roughly thirty yards to his left, having just teleported onto the battlefield. From behind its wall of flames, the demon resurrected dead hell spawn and summoned more to do its bidding. The two Barons of Hell he'd killed earlier were back from the dead and now glowing a bright red, courtesy of the Archville's presence. 

Switching to his rocket launcher, the Slayer fired one rocket off to the demon's right. When he squeezed the trigger, the rocket detonated midair, stunning the Archville. Without its shield, the demon fell prey to the Super Shotgun's Meat Hook. The Archville wailed in agony as the flaming hook set it ablaze. The chain attached to the Meat Hook rapidly pulled the Slayer towards the demon. 

When he was within range, the Super Shotgun nearly blew the Archville's head off. The Slayer then retracted the Meat Hook, sending himself flying over the creature and landing behind it. Switching to his full auto shotgun, he ripped through the demon's bone-like armor and into its back. The rapid fire of his shotgun was suddenly replaced by a singular, unsatisfying click. He put away his combat shotgun and prepared to kill the demon with his bare hands. 

However, another loud gunshot rang out. The Archville's head exploded as a bullet flew into its skull, causing blood to spurt from its neck. Catching his breath, the Slayer took time to survey the room.

This was definitely one of the biggest battles he'd fought in, but this was near the last of the fighting. After all, not many demons tend to survive an encounter with the Doom Slayer. Surprisingly, the Mancubus was still alive and seemed to be unharmed. The Slayer watched as it wiped out the remaining fodder demons, while simultaneously fighting two Barons and the Tyrant. When those three were dead, he'd have to fight the Mancubus.

His train of thought was cut short when a voice called out, "Oi mate, you doin' alright?"

The Slayer instinctively drew his heavy cannon and turned around, intending to mow down whatever was speaking to him. But he stopped himself when he realized it was just another human. 

He then noticed how strange the man's outfit was. He wore a red t-shirt with rolled up sleeves, covered by a flak jacket, along with a pair of grayish work pants. The man even sported a pair of tinted sunglasses and a brown cowboy hat with the brim slightly bent. Taking into account the rifle he was carrying, the man looked like he was on a hunting trip. He also spoke with a noticeable accent.

"That shield wieldin' bastard hit ya pretty hard," the man continued. He then gestured behind his back. "He can fix that right up if ya'd like."