Chapter 2 - Walk in the Dark

The Doom Slayer stepped into what he assumed was a hallway. It was nearly pitch black, so he couldn't really tell. Thinking quickly, he pulled out the Crucible and ignited the blade. The bright red blade was enough to light the way. Although, he couldn't see more than six feet in front of him. He made his way down the hallway, keeping an eye out for any potential ambushes. 

The hallway was surprisingly clean. No blood, no guts, no corpses anywhere. They probably sealed themselves off when the command center was attacked. The Slayer suddenly stopped as he came upon the door he'd kicked not too long ago. Or at least the two halves. Here the hallway splits in two different directions. The corridor to his right was blocked by several tons of metal and concrete that he couldn't be bothered to move aside. To his left, a faint light was visible at the end of the hallway. The Slayer decided to go down the left corridor.

After one or two minutes of walking, he stopped once again. Footsteps could be heard from behind him. They were muffled yet sounded heavy. The Slayer turned around and listened for the source of the footsteps. He then heard the rubble slowly being moved aside. Next came the ear-piercing sound of something scraping against the metal surroundings.

"A Mancubus is probably following us. The scraping sound must be its arm cannons being dragged along the walls," suggested VEGA.

The Slayer extinguished his Crucible and pulled out his BFG-9000. He charged up the shot. When he released the trigger, a massive green projectile shot towards the Mancubus. It roared as tendrils of energy lashed out and struck it. The projectile also illuminated the demon, which was different from the other Cyber-Mancubi he'd fought before. 

However, instead of exploding on contact, the Mancubus' armor seemed to absorb the energy ball. The Slayer watched as his most powerful weapon was absorbed by the demon. Still, he remained unfazed. He would just figure out another way to kill it.

"According to the scans I've done on the demon, its armor bears resemblance to that of the Icon of Sin's, but far more resilient to damage," VEGA informed the Slayer. "It is also equipped with plasma rifles, lock-on missiles, and chainguns."

The Mancubus roared furiously and began attacking the Doom Slayer. He dodged a chunk of debris that was thrown in his direction and responded with a volley of shots from the Unmakyr. The Argent bolts seemed to have no impact on the demon as it returned fire with superheated plasma and acidic projectiles. The Slayer had to constantly move to avoid being hit, although a few shots did graze his exposed biceps. The demon shot a barrage of missiles his way, but they detonated on the walls and ceiling instead. 

Wanting to end this fight quickly, he drew the Crucible. The Slayer charged down the hallway, dodging projectiles as he sprinted. When he was close enough, he leapt into the air, aiming the energy blade towards the Mancubus' armored head. 

However, when the blade made contact, a massive shockwave sent the Slayer flying backwards. He managed to land on his feet, but the Crucible slipped from his grasp and skidded into the darkness. The Slayer stood up and silently stared in the direction of the demon. 

He heard the Mancubus grunting and stumbling backwards. It seemed dazed, but unharmed. The demon quickly recovered from its stupor and began engaging the Slayer once again. The Slayer decided to lure the Mancubus out of the tight corridor and fight it elsewhere. 

He took off sprinting to the other end of the hallway, the demon following behind him. Along the way, he picked up the now extinguished Crucible and kept running. He blew past the doorway in a matter of seconds. The door shut tightly behind him. 

'That should buy me some time,' the Slayer thought.

The Slayer was now in a brightly lit room. All around him, crates were piled on top of one another, nearly touching the ceiling. He also spotted a door that was hidden behind a stack of boxes. He barely had time to check out his new surroundings as an explosion rocked the room. The Slayer instinctively sidestepped several huge crates that flew his way.

"I have detected the presence of multiple super heavy demons. I suggest you proceed with caution, Slayer," VEGA warned.