Chapter 7 - New Face

"AHHHHH!" 

Medic tried to run over and help the falling Texan, but the flailing tentacle kept him at bay. At the last moment, Engie managed to grab hold of the jagged railing with one hand. He was hanging precariously over the edge. 

"ENGIE!!" Medic yelled. "Hold on! Ve'll help you up!"

The tentacle suddenly swung at them, narrowly missing the German. The other mercs backed away, not wanting to disturb the beast and get Engie killed. Medic took the time to keep healing Pyro, who had seemingly recovered from the tentacle's blow.

Sniper watched the situation unfold from the back of the group. "That tentacle's gotta go first, Doc!"

"Give me a moment! I got just the zhing ve need..."

A familiar buzzing rang out as Medic stopped healing and turned to face the other mercs. The German was surrounded by a bright red cloud of static electricity. His blue eyes seem to glow red in the swirling haze.

"ÜberCharge is ready!"

Looking at Pyro, Medic gestured in the tentacle's direction. The pyromaniac gave a small nod and charged as Doc activated his Über. The pair's skin and clothing instantly transformed into metal and their eyes gave off a bright yellow light. 

"Now! Raus!"

The two ran at the tentacle with Pyro burning and forcing the creature away from Engie. Sniper saw the opening and ran over to pull the Texan up to safety. The short statured man was much heavier than he looked. After a few moments, Sniper managed to drag Engie back onto the platform.

The Texan gave the marksman a quick nod before grabbing his fallen sentry gun and getting to safety. Suddenly, another massive tentacle emerged from the tower. It quickly slammed down on Sniper, who narrowly avoided being flattened by sidestepping the attack. He drew his SMG and peppered the new foe with rounds as Engie's redeployed sentry joined the fray. 

"Pull back!" Medic shouted as his Über began to run out. "Get avay from the tower!"

Pyro was suddenly grabbed by the tentacle and lifted high into the air. The pyromaniac's struggle against its strangle hold did him no good. The other mercs wanted to free him, but the second tentacle kept them busy. All three could only listen as the tentacle kept tightening its grip on Pyro, causing bones to shatter. 

The second tentacle slammed onto the ground, trying to flatten Sniper. Instead, the man rolled out of its path and savagely hacked at the beast with his kukri. He was cutting so deep that the blade struck bone. This, along with being pummeled by the sentry's bullets, severed the tentacle. The creature shrieked as it retreated back into the tower.

Engie's sentry then turned to engage the first tentacle, making it release Pyro right above the pit of lava. The pyromaniac let out a muffled scream as he fell to the very bottom. 

"NOOO!!" the Texan yelled, running to the railing and peering over the edge. 

The tentacle that had dropped Pyro quickly fell to pieces under the renewed onslaught from the mercs, and what remained of it retreated into the tower. Now safe, Sniper and Medic rushed to join Engie at the railing. Pyro was nowhere to be seen; he had most likely sank beneath the lava.

After a few moments of stunned silence, the realization that one of their teammates was gone hit them like a truck. The mercs slumped onto the platform, worn out from all that had happened. 

Engie was especially affected by the loss of Pyro. He was unusually still and stared absent-mindedly up at the tower. He wasn't even fidgeting with his wrench or anything. Medic and Sniper just sat and inspected their equipment. No one said a word for a long time.