20

When Ace awoke it was Ross who kicked at his shins.

"Get up kid, she is fully operational!"

Ace shook himself up and stood. Ross slapped his shoulder and said, "finally after so long I have the power of God. Valerie is unrivalled by any Corvega guaranteed."

He looked to Cait sitting on the mattress eating ration pieces. She looked up at Ace and said, "You slept like a rock. He wouldn't shut up about the Corvega all night."

"Come now you two, we cannot waste another minute. I suggest you grab what you can carry." He walked to his desk, throwing notes and gadgets into a pack over his shoulder. He walked over to the sword and regarded it for a minute in silence. "This is all that is left of a forgotten life," he said eerily. "I don't know why I even kept it... Max sure liked it and I hoped one day he would have it." He took the sword into his hands and strung it to his left hip. "My protection from the world."

He smiled to Ace and said, "Maybe one day I will consider giving it to you if you don't die first. Hah!" he walked to the ladder then poked his head up. "This is the part where you both follow me."

Cait winced as she pulled herself up, Ace came closer to help, but she pushed him back.

"I can walk on my own."

Ace sighed and descended the ladder. Walking upon the railing side he watched the massive head of a full war machine and once he got to the side hatch he hesitated, this absolute marvel was about to walk, taller than any building he probably seen before. It's core buzzed, he could hear it below him, at the drop below that would seal a painful slip if he fell. He turned away that thought and allowed himself into the control pod, looking back to make sure Cait got in safely even through her terrible limping.

Ross clicked in his neck and walked to the centre of the room. This Corvega was much more open than the previous one Ace was in, it had two leather seats besides another door. Cait limped to one seat and sat back, relief flushing through her face. Ace sat on the other seat, but he was anxious, he was living in a science fiction movie he knew, he was inside a machine of war.

"Welcome back Commander," said Valerie. "All system functions fully immersed. Detecting new presence. Scanning. Welcome Ace and unknown entity, what should I register you as?"

"Is the Corvega talking to me?" Asked Cait.

"Well yes," said Ross. "Just call her unnamed, you don't need to know everyone in your cabin."

"Understood," said Valerie. "Shall the candle be lit?"
"Yes."

Holographic images appeared across her visor and from panels all over the pod. Strange symbols and dials, all too complicated for Ace to understand. Ross stood firm and lowered his head. For a moment the entire floor shook, something in the distance fell. Ross raised his head, and the whole room moved. From the visor it shown the hangar, the above railings broke off as her head rushed up. Ross moved his fingers, then there was loud crashing. Images popped up, different camera views of the massive Corvega. A view from its shoulders, feet, and back. The bottom hangar mechanics kicked in, raising a platform like a lift. Valerie's head broke through the top of the hangar, as she rose, and she tore through the entire cabin. When the lift raised fully, she loomed over the Wastes, a view unexplainable to anyone who could see her below. Ross put his arms forward, Valerie mimicked. He closed his fists; she did the same. He raised his arms and stretched then dropped them to his sides.

"Sequence complete," said Valerie. "All systems under your guidance Commander."

Ross raised a knee and stepped forward. The whole world shook, the very power of Valerie's steps must have been felt throughout the entire area. The hijacked Corvega used for parts was not even up to Valerie's upper chest. It was so small compared to her.