Chapter 4; Into the Mines

The daylight disappeared long before they arrived at the Gate of Moria. The real challenge, however, stood yet before them.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed."

"Yes, Gimli, their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten." Sighed Gandalf, tapping his staff along the stone wall.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Commented Legolas and Gimli sniffed in disgust.

"Gilan?" Gandalf said and the bard nodded. He walked over to the stone, pressed his ear against it and knocked. For a moment he listened before walking towards the smooth stone between two twisted trees.

"Here." Just as he said so, gasps of awe were heard behind him. He turned around with a frown. "What?"

"Isildin... it mirrors only starlight and moonlight." Gilans frown only deepened. "It's glowing." Elaborated Gandalf. Gilan made a small 'Oh' noise and stepped back, letting the wizard examine the door. "It reads, 'The door of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.'"

"What do you suppose that means?" Asked Pippin.

"It's simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." Said Gandalf, voice full of confidence. "Gate of the Elves, open now for me! Doorway of the Dwarf-folk, listen to the word of my tongue."

"Nothing's happening."

"Thanks for the commentary, Pip." Said Gilan, feeling the annoyance from Gandalf. But it was bound to not work.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves, Men, and Orcs."

"What are you going to do, then?" Pippin asked and Gilan winced.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words." Groaned Gandalf and kept on trying different phrases. Gilan walked a bit away, his sensitive ears picking up something in the trees.

"Do you hear something?" Asked Legolas.

"Nothing out of the ordinary." He said after a bit. His head then snapped back so fast he almost gave himself a whiplash when he heard a splash.

"Do not disturb the water." Aragorn whispered ominously to Pippin and Merry, who were throwing rocks in the water.

"It's a riddle... Speak, friend, and enter. What's the Elvish word for friend?" Asked Frodo and stood up.

"Oh... mellon." Gandalf muttered and the door opened.

"Soon, Master Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves; roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone! This, my friend, is the home of my cousin Balin... And they call this a mine. A mine!" Gimli laughed and everyone huddled inside.

"Oh God." Gilan pressed the back of his hand to his nose, trying to block out the smell of death.

"This is no mine... It's a tomb!"

"Oh... no... no... no...!" Cried the dwarf.

"Goblins."

"We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here." They began backing out and Gilan heard small drops of water fall behind them.

"Do you hear tha- WHOA!" He shouted when something swept him up in the air by his leg. By the shouts of the Fellowship he figured out he wasn't the only one that got snached up. Frodo was too. Which meant he couldn't just unsheathe his sword or he would be risking injuring or even killing the hobbit. Then he heard Frodo scream as he was dropped to the ground. Even though Gilan didn't know what happened, all he really needed to know was that Frodo was out of his sword's reach. He pulled out his weapon and slashed it where the weird tentacle thing was holding him, resulting in him plummeting to the ground and his back hitting the water. Gilan gasped for air when his head burst from the water, quickly scrambling to his feet and raising his sword in defense as the monster prepared for another attack. Then an arrow zoomed past his head and hit the creature, giving Gilan a few vital seconds to sprint for the door. He made it just in time before the entrance to the mines was buried in stone.