Chapter 5; The Fall of The Great

For once in his life, Gilan was truly glad he couldn't see. The heat on his back was more than enough to make him push Merry and Pippin down the hall and run for his life.

"Lead them on, Aragorn! The bridge is near!" Shouted Gandalf and Aragorn hesitated. "Do as I say! Swords are no more use here." They did as they were told and ran down the narrow staircase to the bridge of Khazad-Dûm. Gilan was a bit disoriented. By the echo of their footsteps, he guessed that the bridge led across a huge ravine, which appeared endless. Gilan felt a hand grab his left arm and right side of his hip.

"Jump." Legolas said to him and pushed him forward. The moment Gilan's feet left the ground he gripped Legolas' tunic in a death grip and his whole body tensed up. His feet collided with the stone and he let out the breath he was holding.

"Thanks!" He sighed out in relief and the two turned back to help the rest. Gandalf jumped after them and Legolas steadied him. "Archers! Be careful!" Shouted Gilan and deflected one of the incoming arrows that would have struck Aragorn with a carefully thrown dagger. Boromir quickly grabbed Merry and Pippin and leapt across. Gilan held onto them and Legolas provided cover with his bow. Sam was thrown to them moments later then soon followed by jumping Gimli with the words:

"Nobody tosses a dwarf!" Those words then came back to haunt him, for the jump was just a few inches too short. The dwarf waved his hands around, trying to find balance when both Legolas and Gilan grabbed at the nearest thing they could reach. Gilan grabbed one of the straps on the armor and Legolas, more ruthlessly, grabbed the dwarf's beard. "Not the beard!" Cried Gimli. The last were Aragorn and Frodo. The heart beats of the two were hammering at a fast pace when the Balrog behind them roared and its voice shook the walls. The rumble alone was strong enough to crack the ceiling, causing large rocks to fall down onto the staircase behind Aragorn and Frodo. Gilan had trouble understanding what was happening but he did manage to end up in the relative safety of their group.

"Over the bridge! Fly!" Yelled Gandalf and they ran one by one over the narrow stone. The bard heard the demon's footsteps nearing them and a cold sweat rolled down his back when he heard Gandalf turn on his heel. "You cannot pass!"

"Gandalf!" Frodo screamed.

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow!" There is a swish of a giant sword through the air and Gilan pulls Merry and Pippin behind him. "You shall not pass!!" Gilan closes his eyes when a wave of ash hits their faces and for a moment, everyone's heart slows down with relief.

Just for a moment.

A crack of a whip gives the first hint that something is not right. Then Gandalf's feet slip and his staff falls down into the ravine. Frodo moves but Boromir is faster, he catches the hobbit and holds him back with tears in his eyes.

"Gandalf!" The halfling screams and Gilan's own eyes reddened as well.

"Fly, you fools." Gandalf hisses and lets go.

"No!" The hobbits tug at the arms that hold them back, but they do not stand a chance against the battle hardened warriors that are Boromir, Aragorn, Gimly, Legolas and Gilan. The bard hears arrows nearing them and pushes Merry and Pippin towards Legolas. Then he unsheathed his sword and spun around like only he could. His weapon created a shield before the group as they made their way out of Moria. He was too busy focusing on the incoming arrows that he missed the amazed and slightly terrified breaths his companions let out. Finally, after what felt like eternity, Gilan felt the familiar warmth of sun on his skin. It hit them then, when they were in relative safety of daylight, who they just lost. Gilan bowed his head, letting one lone tear drop to the ground.

"Legolas, get them up!" Aragorn sighed.

"Give them a moment for pity's sake!" Shouted Boromir, his voice filled with hurt.

"By nightfall these hills will be swarming with Orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Gilan, get them up. On your feet, Sam." Aragorn's exhausted voice sent shivers up their spines as they realized that he was right. Gilan walked over to Merry, who was clinging onto a crying Pippin. The younger hobbit wept loudly, salt of his tears filling the air.

"It's my fault! My!" He cried.

"Don't say that Pip." Hiccuped Merry.

"It matters not. Guilt will eat us all if we let it." The eyes of two hobbits were now on him, the words he spoke were carefully chosen. "But his life is worth more than that, don't you think? Let us not become mournful spirits and instead, let's honor his goal. Let's end the evil he spent his time keeping at bay." Merry and Pippin kept quiet for a moment before Pippin sniffed.

"Yes, let's do that."

***

"Stay close, young hobbits..they say a Sorceress lives in these woods. An elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell...And are never seen again!" Gimli loudly whispered, clenching his ax and looking around.

"Imagine having that problem." Gilan mumbled, resulting in Boromir hiding his snort behind his gloved hand and Aragorn masking his laugh with a cough.

"Well, here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!" Gilan's smile fell off his face when he heard quiet movement around them. He stopped walking and his hand prevented Aragorn and Boromir from further steps.

"What's wrong?" Merry asked.

"We are surrounded."

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." Male voice speaks. The figure moves with elven grace but there is something in his movement that reminds Gilan of a simpler time, long ago.

"Haldir of Lorien, we come here for your help. We need your protection." Aragorn speaks in Elvish and Gilan remembers.

"Aragorn! These woods are perilous. We should go back." Gimli whispers.

"You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood. You cannot go back. Come, she is waiting." They are led through the forest and Haldir soon approaches him.

"Do I know you, traveler?" He asks.

"I don't see why you wouldn't, my friend." Gilan smiles. It takes Haldir a moment before he remembers.

"Gilan! It is you!" The elf lightly touches his shoulder. "You look horrible."

"I don't look at all." Gilan grins and Haldir chuckes.

***

"Nine there are, yet ten there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him." Lord Celeborn speaks as they stand before him and Lady Galadriel. The Fellowship looks to the ground as they are reminded of the wound on their heart.

"He has fallen into shadow. The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all...Yet hope remains while the company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace." The White Lady tells them and they nod in thanks. They turn to leave, but before they do so, Galadriel speaks again.

"Gilan, stay for a bit." She says and the bard freezes in his half step.