Chapter 12; The Battle of Helm's Deep

Frowning, Gilan undid the buckles on his arm guards once more and started re-doing them, a frustrated sigh leaving his lips. Maybe it was just his nerves before the battle, but the strap felt both too loose and too tight at the same time. Aragorn was putting on his own armor a couple feet away from him when Gilan heard Legolas enter. Who else would have such light footsteps.

"We have trusted you this far and you have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair." The elf said apologetically and handed him his sword.

"There is nothing to forgive, Legolas." Aragorn smiles and the tension between the two finally disappears.

"If we had time, I'd get this adjusted. It's a little tight across the chest." Gimli walks in and Gilan can hear how the chainmail shirt is too long for him.

"I don't see anything wrong with it." He deadpans and the four of them laugh. Their cheerful mood is interrupted by a horn blown outside.

"That is no orc horn." Sais Legolas and they rush outside, Gilan throwing the arm guards to the side.

"Send for the king. Open the gate!" One of the guards yells. The gate opens and an army of elves march in,

"How is this possible?" Théoden asks, bewildered.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance." Haldir steps forward and Aragorn greets him with a hug.

"Welcome Haldir. You are most welcome!"

"We are proud to fight alongside men, once more."

***

The elves and men are positioned on the keep's walls and are observing the approaching orc army.

"Arg... You could have picked a better spot." Gimli grumbles towards Legolas and Gilan rolls his eyes. Aragorn approaches the three.

"Well lad, the luck you live by, let's hope it lasts the night."

"Your friends are with you, Aragorn."

"Let's hope they last the night."

"Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!" Aragorn shouts to the elves.

"What's happening out there?" Gimli balances on his tiptoes.

"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?" Legolas asks and Gilan can't help but chuckle.

"There's at least ten thousand of them, Gimli, I can tell you that."

"How can you tell?" Gilan notices that Gimli's tone changed over the course of their journey from doubtful to genuinely curious.

"I know what hundreds of soldiers sound like. I haven't heard ruckus this bad before." He says quietly and the archers on the walls draw their bows. Silence spreads over the soldiers as they wait for command. One of the older men, however, lets the arrow loose too soon. It hits it's target.

"Hold!" Aragon yells as the orcs roar and charge. A lightning cracks the sky open and sends a downpour.

"So it begins." The king sighs.

"Their armor is weak at the neck and under the arms."

"Fire!"

"Anybody hit anything?" Gimli asks and Gilan snorts.

"Give them a volley."

"Fire!"

"Ladders!" A warning shout rings out.