Take You Down: Chapter Twenty Two

Madison's POV

It feels as if ever aching minute is an elongated hour to me. With my phone underneath my desk, I contemplate on whether or not I should try and explain things to Makayla. I can't just let this happen without putting up a fight...

Or I could just wait fifty minutes for lunch to come around where I will 'break up' with Pablo...and then maybe I can drag Makayla away.

Only that'll cause too much of a scene. Breaking up with Pablo in public will have Lucas's attention already, but dragging Makayla away as well will only trigger his curiousity more.

I purse my lips, hard in thought, my fingers itching on the table.

Now it is.

With that in mind, I immediately tuck my hands under the table as the teacher lectures about the depressing history of Shakespeare.

Can we talk please?

I press 'send' and wait impatiently for her to reply. Normally, Makayla is the fastest texter I've ever known, but I figured after what happened today, she'd prolong it.

I try and pass the minutes by by drawing flowers and swirly designs on the inside of my school planner.

Finally, my phone vibrates and I eagerly drop the pencil to check.

Make it quick. I'm walking back from the bathrooms.

A surge of hope blasts through my system and I raise my hand high in the air.

Mr. Laze calls on me, his expression turning to surprise, "Wonderful, tell us what you learned about William's family life last night."

I frown, my hand wavering slightly.

Last night?

"Uhh, William's wife was very young, they were a distant family, and his son died in the plague." I state the basics, which obviously pleased him very much.

Not that we'd learned about William plenty of times or anything...

"Good," He praises, moving his eyes in the other direction.

Before he can continue on, I interrupt him, "Um Mr. Laze, can I go to the bathroom?"

He smiles, "Sure, hurry though. Take the pass with you."

I nod and hop out of my seat, using all my willpower not to look like a hyper bunny eager to run out of the room. I take painstakingly normal steps across the room and grab the bathroom pass on my way out. Once I pass the door, my heart picks up its pace and I literally sprint to the direction of the bathroom.

Halfway there, I see Makayla just about to enter her other classroom. I sigh in relief, thankfull that I caught her before it was too late.

"Makayla!" I call out in a hushed shout.

She snaps her head in my direction and backs away from the door, an unwelcoming frown on her face.

"My teacher is gonna get suspicious," She informs me, folding her arms across her chest.

I ignore that, determined to get to the point. If telling her is what it's going to take, then so be it.

"You're a girl. There are lots of excuses for being gone so long." I offer her a good reason, not even bothering to look at her sour expression now.

I hear her sigh, "Okay what do you want?"

I look up, my eyes pleading, "You can't go to homecoming with Lucas."