Flowers - James Hathaway

Y/N L/N's nights used to be her opportunity to destress from the day, perhaps nurse a cheeky glass of chardonnay as she prepared dinner before eventually winding down to do it all again tomorrow. Then James Hathaway entered her life, the start of their relationship wasn't quite a whirlwind romance. In fact the Policeman had been rather brash upon their first meeting practically interrogating her on the simplest of things. Eventually the stoic harsh exterior dissolved and James allowed himself to come out of his shell a bit. But now that meant Y/N couldn't properly relax after a day of work until the familiar heavy footsteps crossed their shared threshold. Oxford had never seemed like a dangerous place until James, waiting every night to see if he'd actually make it home in one piece.

Stirring the pasta the y/h/c woman couldn't help but smile at the small curse that flowed in from the hallway. No doubt James had once again failed to kick his work shoes off smoothly. Since injuring his neck and being imprisoned in a neck brace he was no longer able to undo his shoelaces... and even more unable to accept help. "Survived another day then" Y/N called out loudly before jumping slightly at the crisp shirt covered limbs wrapped around her. "Barely." the tall man replied quietly, placing soft butterfly-like kisses on the young woman's exposed neck. Y/N held the distinct smell of home, a combination of honeysuckle perfume and slight lavender laundry detergent. James had originally hated the floral scents slowly taking over his life. The DS having previously wrinkled his nose and moodily claimed it made him smell like a girl. Somehow months later he'd complain if they were running low. It felt nice to have someone to come home to, someone to share his life with.

"Got a surprise for you." James announced reluctantly removing himself from the y/h/c woman. Reaching for the arrangement of hyacinths, hydrangeas and baby's breath. The shades of blue with bursts of white had certainly been eye-catching and perhaps he would have bought them for Y/N himself without the upset florists demand of reimbursement.

"They're beautiful... what's the occasion?" Y/N began before suspicion dampened her original excitement. Narrowing her y/e/c orbs slightly taking in every inch of the Detective Sergeant's face. "What have you done James?" Y/N asked a faux sternness finding its home on her y/s/c features. "Nothing... just a work incident." James replied, shooting the woman in an attempt at a reassuring smile.