SEVEN

{ Arietta's POV }

Since our conversation last night I haven't seen Marek since. I believe he went to hunt or blow off some steam. I know my suspicions are correct when I see him walking through the door with blood on his ripped shirt.

"Blowing of steam?" I question informally

He grunts

"I get it. However that's not normally how I would look. So I just needed clarification on what blowing off steam looks like for you." I tell him

That caught his attention as he walks further in the house. He asks "And how does it look for you?"

"Let's just say there's a reason I'm being hunted, and we'll leave it at that for now." I reply

He looks at me a moment longer then excuses himself to go take a shower. While he's showering I  leave a note that says "Dear Mate, I can't stall any longer. This journey I'm on is dangerous, grueling, and to be honest I'm nearly signing my own death certificate by going to the council. In a way I wish things could be different, but if they were we wouldn't be who we are..and we probably wouldn't be mates to begin with. Maybe we'll meet again, but until then stay safe." on the kitchen table along with my bag of clothes, and I quietly sneak out of the house. Any normal person or even creature would stay and be with their mate, or at least wait for them to come along. I don't have the time nor luxury.

He knows I have to leave, and he knows why.

If it's really meant to be, then fate will find it's way.

I had gotten a few miles away when I heard a strong howl calling me back. I knew it was Marek.
I just couldn't understand why he would care so much to even try to call me back. Sure he'll feel pain if I die, but he may get another mate afterwards. Most powerful creatures do. It's the cycle of life here.

Don't get me wrong the pull I feel even right now when I'm not with him is tense and real.. but what else do we have outside of that?

I kept running and running. It's almost nightfall so I'll need to find shelter soon.

I finally come across a village, just as the sun is going down. Only it's not a cute village like you'd see in a movie, and definitely not one that I could find shelter in. It's a village full of rogues. Does the council know that they are here? Surely they must.
Is this why they were so close to Marek's cabin that night? Does he know? And if so why is he letting them live?

I swiftly climb a tree just outside of their village, which smells of burnt flesh and trash. A smell that could only really be compared to death. All rogues carry a scent matching it, but different rogues together in one small village is nearly unbearable.

I still smell like smoke that alone with the fact I'm masking my scent should be able to help me hide up here until morning. Maybe I can even find some answers to settle my curiosity before continuing on my journey.

I've been watching them for hours, and all I can tell is that they aren't aware of their senses and things around them when they become rogue. At least not like they were before. Sounds and smell get their attention but I don't think it fazes them as much as I had originally thought. They are insanely wild.
In the time I've been watching I've seen them kill and eat each other, and start fights with no purpose or way of winning. They simply don't care.

It's like their minds can only focus on one thing.

Interesting...

I realize that I've fallen asleep when I feel a hand over my mouth, I almost freak out until I feel sparks radiating throughout my body. I sit up and look into his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in the quietest whisper I can muster

"You left." He says

"Yes. I have something I have to do." I tell him

"And I have a promise I have to uphold.." He says

"To who?" I question

"Myself." He answers simply and strongly

"What are you doing camping outside of rogue territory?" He questions like I'm an idiot

"Research. Investigating. Resting until the sun comes up." I tell him smartly

"You're going to get yourself killed." He says

"I'm aware. Just not tonight. I have something I have to do first. After that probably so." I say

He gives me a look telling me to shut up.

"What research have you found?" He asks

I realize he's been talking normal this whole time then the smell of blood hits me. I look down and see that the whole rogue village is slaughtered inhumanly.

I look back at him and he says "All I could smell was your faint scent in the area."

"That was a product of you looking for me?"
I ask him

He doesn't say anything so I'm taking it as a yes.

"You thought I was in trouble." I say realizing what it seemed like to him and he doesn't say a thing.
But he doesn't have too. He was concerned for me, so much so he brutally butchered a whole village of rogues while I was sleeping in a tree.

"You should know that rogues could capture me, but they wouldn't be able to hold me for long." I tell him

"Why?" He asks

"I hope you never have to find out why. It just isn't pretty." I tell him vaguely then I ask "How come I didn't sense you? Or hear what you were doing?"

"I don't know. My best guess is that your wolf somehow knew it was me, and was at peace with it." He says

He has a point. Although I'd be surprised she's normally alert, and vicious. If he's right which I think he just might be, then that's serious.
My wolf doesn't trust. It's part of the reason I'm always on edge.