CHAPTER -Zero

Ae-Cha P.O.V :

It's 31st December at 11 pm, an hour before the new year, and here I am preparing dinner for the new year party.

I took the tortilla press tonight, the heart stamp, and made some egg white sugar glaze. I wet my hands and pull chunks of the cold, sticky fermented rye dough. I place it between plastic sheets and press it into a thin layer. I cut some squares with a cookie cutter and sandwich them with peach leather, goiabada (guava paste), and cassis (black currant) jam. I repeat and repeat. Maybe these are not all the fillings one would think to add to Pryaniki, but in our family, American Latin Eastern European, and obviously Korean flavors mash is a thing. And we often celebrate our "thing" with food.

"Eomma!? Should I put a little more ginger in the soup?" My eldest son asked me.

"Yeah, a little bit," I told him.

He thanked me and went to cook the soup.

He is helping me in the kitchen as he loves to cook. And yes, he is a good cook. I appreciate him.

"Eomma, have it!" SeokJin said while feeding me spoonfuls of soup. "How is it?" He asked.

"Delicious! I really love it, Jinnie," I said with a smile.

"Thanks, eomma," he smiled. "I think I have to get going to check on my little brothers, or I should say little demons. It's really hard to control them."

"Oh yeah, go ahead," I chuckled at his statement as he called his brothers little demons.

But he is not wrong, though. Sometimes I also think that having seven children and taking care of them is not an easy thing to do. Yes, you hear me right. I have seven kids, and all are boys. (Wow, right? 😉🤭) My seven precious gems. They are like a rainbow's seven different colors with different characters.

My eldest son, SeokJin, is really sweet, obedient, and responsible. As he is the oldest child, he treats his younger siblings as his own, and he's kind of a mother figure to them because he loves them so much, well, after me obviously. 😌 I am the mom, after all; no one can take my place, but he is good at handling the other kids. (Key words: when I am not at home, okay?) But sometimes he behaves like the youngest child in the family (my baby 😄). He loves to enjoy and make people happy around him. That's why he tells us jokes. But he only finds them funny. (Ooo...Hmm 🤔...Let it be 😅) Overall, he is a good son and a good brother. We are proud of him as he takes his responsibility perfectly.

"Eomma, where is the whipped cream?"

I turned around, hearing the question from my second eldest son, Yoongi, who looks like he just woke up from his sleep.

"Sleep" is something Yoongi really loves to do. I'm telling you the truth, if sleeping were a job, he would be a millionaire.

"Eomma? Where is it?" He asked me again.

"Oh, it's in the cupboard," I said. "Well, it's really surprising to see you here while sacrificing your sleep."

He turned around, looking at me while holding the whipped cream packet. "Well, it's just to engage the maknaes while I sacrifice my precious sleep. While they work on the cake, I can catch some sleep," he said as he went out of the room.

Well, that's a good idea. 😕

Yoongi is a genius kid; he has a solution for any kind of situation. He is weak at expressing his feelings but has a warm heart for his brothers, which he never expresses in words but shows through his actions. He is the one who gets hyper or angry easily if anyone bullies any of his brothers. He's not lazy; he just prefers not to do things. But if he determines something needs to be done, he goes for it and completes it at any cost. He never shows that he cares for his family, but his actions show how much he cares for us.