One

Cyrus Meredith

Cyrus Meredith.

I hadn't been able to partake in much during my life, aside from books, music, and mainly my friends or family. I lost interest in things sooner than anticipated, but one thing that's always fascinated me was the mystery of my own parents.

I had never met them, but this isn't a sob story. It's just a rooted fact. I do know them, though. From the cassettes they left me, to my mothers clothes that sit in a box up in the attic of me and my grandmothers home. My father didn't leave me with much, aside from his drawing journal where sketches of fireworks litter the pages. My grandmother told me he loved them, almost as much as he loved me.

My grandmother says I was their pride and joy. Every living, breathing second my parents either bragged about me or never took their eyes off of me. I guess I was special, in that way.

My mom had me when she had just turned 18, my dad the same age. At first, my grandparents weren't very supportive of them. I get it, teenage pregnancy isn't exactly fantastic news to most. Eventually, my grandma came around. More so when I was born, actually. Rather than when I was conceived.

Up until I was about five my parents stayed in the loft in my grandmas house, my crib besides their beds. I still live up here. Their old posters and music cd's crowd the room with some of my less-cool Knick knacks. I can't help but wonder if my parents would like me now?

Growing up in Massachusetts had been lovely, If I say so myself. Apart from the parent situation, my life was quite perfect. I had grown up with the best friends I could've ever asked for. Nick, Matt, and Chris sturniolo. I have to say, I'm closest with Nick but overall, they know everything about me.

Within high school We've somehow grown apart, especially Matt who seemed to withdraw himself from our group. Nick and Chris stuck around though, most typically Nick. Chris had been odd at times, and if anything the friendship needed work. He seemed to withdraw too.

Sophomore year I started dating my current boyfriend, Alex. He was like my best-friend in ways. He was always there for me, never distant, and always understood but never asked questions.

Now, it had been the summer after I graduated. My grandma threw me this graduation party along with the triplets. For the first time in forever, it felt normal again.

Making my way downstairs, I can hear the scuffle of shoes upon the tile in the kitchen, the click of heals, and the steps of boots that were too heavy for the summer time. The sound alone made goosebumps rise to the back of my neck, making me feel colder than ever. As I begin to take my next step, Nick comes trotting towards the stairs, his head down before nearly bumping into me and taking me down the flight of stairs. "Woah, hey." I murmur, noticing the frantic expression loitering his face. The expression soon dissolved into a grin, the boy tugging my forearm down as he turns back to the landing in the stairs. "I was just coming to get you! Took you long enough." Nick jokes. I furrow my brows, taking in the sight of him in a rather formal outfit. "Jesus, who died and made you secret service." I tease, watching as Nick turns to me with a deadpan, and tugs me down the stairs to the kitchen.