Ten

(A/N: i'm SO sorry for not updating for so long. life has been really busy for me lately and i've only just logged back in here 😭)

Awoken by the forceful shoves in his back, Matt let out a guttural groan, burying his face into the soft silk pillow he clutched so closely to himself

Awoken by the forceful shoves in his back, Matt let out a guttural groan, burying his face into the soft silk pillow he clutched so closely to himself. but yet, there was no sleeping for the boy, he was prodded again, this time in the back of his head. without opening his eyes, matt knew damn well it had been night out still, considering the daylight usually not only woke him up, but pissed him off. finally opening his heavy eyelids, revealed a very bushy tailed and bright eyed cyrus, only causing the boy to frantically sit up in his bed, fixing his brown locks. she was wide awake, presentable, pretty as ever, and matt had been nowhere near that. infact, he almost refused to speak considering the fear of his morning breath. "get up!" cyrus exclaimed in a whisper-shout, nudging his shoulder. to this, matt furrowed his brow, rubbing his left eye. he would do anything for her, of course. but it wasn't certain he'd enjoy it.

"where are we going?" matt asked, his voice was gruff, gravelly and broken up. it wasn't until he sat up that he felt the overwhelming headache, and the sudden wave of nausea. frantically, matt pushed himself out of bed and whipped around the corner past cyrus, into the hallway bathroom. which luckily had been empty. beginning to spew out the remains of alcohol in his system, cyrus didn't dare follow matt, knowing how not only embarrassed he felt for being sick alone, but also if anyone saw. she respected it, she respected him. there was never a time where it wasn't mutual. so, cyrus sat herself on the edge of the boys bed, her eyes dancing around the room she had been forbidden to be in. she was highly unsure of the sudden shift between the two. matt had always been so distant but close, it never made sense to anyone. he had been the type of person you could easily console in, but he would never speak a word about his own emotions. that had to do with the wall he built up overtime, and cyrus was his wrecking ball.

once he had simmered down, matt stumbled back into his room, unexpectedly finding cyrus sitting at the edge of his bed. that alone was something that felt like a punch to the gut, in the best way possible. she was in his bed. though, matt's thoughts were only pure towards her. unsure of what to do with himself at first, matt pursed his lips, sighing as he trudged towards his dresser. "where are we going?" he asked again, repeating himself with one glance towards the smiling girl. he loved how she looked, so resilient and beautiful. cyrus was every perfect feature put into one person in his eyes, truly radiant.

"i want to go feed ducks." the phrase itself was enough to cause matt to pause, his eyes traveling from the mess of things in his drawer, back to cyrus. he never questioned her, but only asked for context when she spoke. he would go out of his way to make sure she never felt stupid. "okay, how come?" he asked, his tone was soft for someone who had woken up so unpleasantly, especially with the sleep he got alongside his hangover. he didn't care, though.
"i don't know, i just love doing it. there's this farm downtown that you've never been to, i feel like you'd like it." cyrus rambled, the more she spoke, the more infatuated matt grew. a light smile played upon his lips just from hearing her speak, but especially now that it had been just the two of them. matt was battling not only a headache, but the overwhelming excitement at the time. this seemed like a date type of thing, and it had matt's head spinning in circles.

once matt had gotten dressed and changed, the two of them left the house, earlier than the sunrise which had about an hour still, and eventually, they arrived to their destination. some type of farm located just on the outskirts of their city, nothing but pastures and fields to fill the view alongside the painted skies that hovered before them like a blanket. from where they had parked, you could see the barn, the trail leading to the pond, and the horse stables. cyrus gleefully hauled herself out of the car, matt following alongside once he had noticed she got out, quickly traveling around the other side of the car to get to her. "you lead the way." matt grinned, and with that, cyrus took a hold of his hand. the contact sent him back into overdrive, his widened eyes staring down at the hand clutching his. dreaming about getting this close to her felt wrong, let alone touching her.

she was a gorgeous mess of beautiful chaos. stardust was her cloak, and the constellations her crown. cyrus is like a wild flower, she spent her days allowing herself to grow, not many knew her struggle, but eventually all knew of her light. he could go on and on about the blessing she is in his life, but that would take weeks.

tugging a very poorly and mangled loaf of bread from her bag, cyrus handed it to matt with a wide grin; her hand now gone from his. "didnt think i came empty handed, did ya." she teased, nudging into his shoulder. matt chuckled, shaking his head. "no.. i saw you sneak that off the counter after my shower." he answered, cyrus' cheeks had been undeniably flushed - but she would deny it. "stalking me now, matt?" she asked as she squatted down to level over the dock, just inches away from the water. matt was quick on his hands, as well as his brain, despite the utter embarrassment from her claim, which had been slightly true, matt shook his head. "you live with me, silly." he responded. cyrus only shrugged her shoulders childishly, picking bread apart before her, then tossing it into the water. matt joined her, sitting besides the girl, trying his best not to steal yet another selfish glance at her side profile.

"so.." she began, side eyeing him from her peripheral vision. matt felt it. he didn't turn to meet eyes though, something about the lingering tension in her tone had irked him. something wasn't right. his jaw began to clench from nerves, a subtle shake in his sternum from anxiety now overtook him. "how come you drank last night?" she asked. god, he knew her intentions were good - but this was disappointing to say the least. this wasn't a date, how could he have been so stupid? plastering a fake grin to his lips, matt smiled and shook his head. "i just wanted to experience it. i'm trying to just live i don't know." he shrugged. the girl besides him stared intently as he spoke, not saying a word until he finished. "you were just caught smoking." she stated. this pinched a nerve for matt, he lied. with good reasoning sure, but regardless, he still wasn't being truthful with her.

he refused to be. the wall was slowly building its way back up, but definitely making more progress than he was. "being human is humiliating." he replied, tossing bread into the pond, watching as one of the ducks came up and stole it. "existing in general, humiliating. so violently do i know myself inside and out, i know everything i want, how i can usher to my needs and hunger. i'll never be satisfied. i'm greedy, cyrus. i loathe anyone who fails to understand."