chapter five: drag race

staz pov

"are you sure it's ok that we're here?" ian asks as we slowly drive through people and their cars.

"yeah it's totally ok. you guys can drive with me while i'm racing if you want." i respond.

i found a spot to park next to the rest of my family as roman came to my window.

"who we got here."

"roman you remember the gallagher's right? this is carl, ian and liam."

"staz i told you i-" roman started but quickly stopped from me pinching his arm. "-i said that you can invite more people!" he finished putting a fake smile on his face.

after fake laughing at what roman said, we all got out of the car and the races began. we all walked over to the big group of people and made our way to the front. then, we saw lenny.

"heyyyy there they are, the thomas's." lenny said walking over to us, his group of guys behind him. "oh hey anastasia, you're looking very gorgeous today." he said, tucking hair behind me ear.

"hey don't touch her." carl says shoving him a little. woah, why is he being so overprotective.

"woah who's this staz?" lenny says going so close to carl they're only centimeters apart.

"leave him out of this lenny." i say moving carl back behind me. i didn't realize til now that everyone was silent and they made a circle around us.

"no i don't think i will he came at me i'm going after him." lenny responded lunging forward towards carl. i quickly looked at roman and he shot a glance at me before pushing carl, liam, ian and i behind him and punching lenny. lenny quickly punched roman back before all the guys separated them.

"hey do the battling by racing." travis told them both as they eyed each other.

"hey you guys ok?" i turned around and asked the gallaghers as roman and lenny went to get their cars.

"yeah we're good." ian responds.

"does this kind of stuff happen a lot?" asks carl.

"to often." i say before turning back around to give them the ready set go after they put their money together. i normally always do this unless i'm the one racing.

"keep it fair" i tell them both as i step in front of their cars. "ready?" i look at lenny, "steady..." i look at roman, "GO!" i yell putting my arms down. and they were off. it took a while for the smoke to clear but once it was, you could just see how fast they were going.

after a few seconds, lenny was ahead then turned in romans direction, clipping him causing him to flip over him a couple of times before he crashed upside down.

"ROMAN." i yell, breathless, tears were already forming. without looking back, i started sprinting forwards, as well as everyone behind me. the gallagher boys and the rest of my family and i got there first. i quickly opened his door, sobbing. travis helped me pull him out of the car. we got him as far as we could away from the car then, it exploded.

i put roman's head in my lap. "roman, roman wake up. please." i say but could barely get out the words. at this point, i was crying so hard i forgot how to breathe. then, the whole world just went silent. it felt like it was just me and him. i felt someone's arm around me. i looked up to see who it was, and it was carl. i leant into his shoulder and cried even more as travis, brian, and myles tried to wake him up.

i heard a car coming closer, then it shut off. i looked up to see lenny smiling and laughing getting out of his car. i quickly let go of carl and got up and ran towards him.

"you son of a bitch!" i say, landing a punch right in his cheek. he fell backwards, then onto the ground but that didn't stop me from getting on top of him and letting all of my anger out. "YOU DID IT ON PURPOSE!"i say punching him over and over, crying. i felt carl and ian get me off of him but i was able to get out of their grip and went down to punch lenny again. "FUCK YOU LENNY." i say as carl and ian got me off again. this time i wasn't able to get out of their grip. they led me back to roman and let travis, brian, and myles finish off lenny.

"staz we gotta get him to the hospital." ian says trying to get roman up. "carl, liam help me!"

i turn around to the boys. "we're taking roman to the hospital, meet us there!" they all nodded then proceeded to beat lenny and his gang up. i helped carry roman as we proceeded to my car.

"ian you drive so staz can sit with roman." carl says.

"got it." he says, putting roman in the back with me.

"hey roman, you're gonna be ok. we're almost to the hospital, i love you keep breathing." i say to roman holding him.

we finally made it to the ER when i saw nurses coming out of the building and meeting us by the car.

"nurse is he gonna be ok?" i ask as they're rolling him into the building, carl, liam and ian beside me.

"ma'am i need you to step back and wait in the waiting room." one nurse responded.

"no no i have to be with him. please i-"

"ma'am go wait in the waiting room. please." she responded, very seriously.

"come on, let's go." carl said softly, pulling me into a side hug. i eventually looked at him and started breaking down in his arms. we started walking towards the waiting room. the boys sat on each side of me. i put my legs on ian and rested my head on carl's lap and slowly drifted to sleep.