29. Bow

Silver's point of view

Three months have passed in the blink of an eye, good thing that i didn't get to meet anyone i don't wanna meet. But i don't feel good at all, like there's something looming in the dark. I don't know if it's intuition or just paranoia, but i just let it go as paranoia for now. This isn't the first time i felt this way.

Right now, mother is sitting in front of me and sipping tea. She often visits me and bring me gifts.

"So, how has it been for you here, my daughter, have you been well adjusted?" Mother asked.

"At first, i thought that it'll be hard for me to live in a noble's mansion, but because of you and others, that i can live in peace." I smiled at mother.

Living here isn't quite eventful, all i do is go to my favorite places here, visit mother's quarters, and go with the girls. A noble's life is pretty boring, nothing big happens. But of course i won't complain to mother about it, i don't want her to think that her house is nothing like a home for me. There are nice people, but i still feel like the staffs in here are glaring at me behind my back.

"It's good to know that you're having a good time in here. I was worried that i can't give you a happy home, that this place is far from how Tara have raised you." Mother looked down on the table, and sighed.

I mean, it's really different from how i grew up in this world, but it doesn't matter, as long as my mothers are there, i'll call the streets a home.

"Mother, i don't care where it is, or how chaotic or peaceful it is, but if you're there, it will be a home i'd want to live in." I told her sincerely.

"Me too, my daughter, as long as you and your siblings are there, or Tara was there, it would be a home for me," Mother held my cheek with a sincere smile on her  face.

I only smiled  back at her and held the hand on my face. I missed Mother Duchess, she's been very busy with work lately that it's rare for me to meet her nowadays. She said that it's about the train that she proposed to the council, so she's put her time to have it agreed upon.

"Mother, how was the train talk going? Are there any progress?" I asked her curiously.

Mother smiled and continue sipping her tea, she's back to her elegant posture that faltered for a bit earlier.

"I'm happy to say that it was already approved, the emperor was impressed that he wants to have an audience with you." She smiled at me proudly.

"But Mother, i don't want to. You know that i can't make mistakes in front of the emperor, i don't want to tarnish your reputation." I don't want to meet the emperor, that will be troublesome. I'm sure that i can speak with him with confidence, i've met royalties before so it's not a new thing for me. But this time is different, the imperial palace is a dangerous place, a single mishap could lead to my death, more so because this is ancient time, people are overreacting. Especially those of the higher position, they don't like being offended in the slightest.

"Don't worry my daughter, even the emperor wouldn't dare to oppose this mother of yours." She proudly stated. But why does that sound familiar?

What she said is true though, Mother is a powerful Duchess, it was even rumored that her power extends farther than the emperor himself. People say that if she wants to, she can dethrone the reigning emperor and sit right away, no one would even complain.

But that was only among themselves, inside other people's households, if someone with bad intentions heard that, they can use that against Mother and she will be accused of treason. So, those topics are practically taboo.