Prologue - The Child

Thor looked around him, the hallway was clear, not a sound was to be heard. In one arm he held a bundle of cloth wrapped around a baby and with the other he pulled Mjolnir from his belt. He twirled it and shot into the sky flying towards the Bifrost. The child in his arm stirred slightly and began cooing in panic.

"Hush little one," Thor said quietly. "You will be safe soon enough." The baby calmed, but continued to make small noises and shifting beneath the thick bundle.

The Bifrost was coming into view and Thor felt the hope in his chest burn brighter as it came closer and closer. He landed upon the Rainbow Bridge and hurried into the golden dome, he was running out of time.

"Heimdall!" Thor called out, his voice in a slight panic.

"Thor!" Heimdall exclaimed as he emerged from the Bifrost. His eyes widened when he saw the child. "You have the child! Give her to me so that I may send her through the Bifrost." He said quickly.

Thor immediately gave the bundle to Heimdall and in an instant the child began crying loudly. Thor's eyes widened and he quickly looked down to the child. He felt saddened at the idea of having to send the poor child away from her home, but it was what needed to be done.

"Quiet little one. I shall see you again one day, but not for a very long time. It is not safe for me to see you, but I give you my word that when the stars say it is time I shall come for you and you will return to the Golden Realm." He said softly as he placed his large hand delicately on the child's head. She stopped her crying and looked up at Thor with her round, blue eyes. "Take her." Thor said quietly and turned from Heimdall. "Hurry, for Loki will not be far off."

Thor moved to the entrance of the Bifrost, his hammer in hand. The Bifrost powered up and in that moment he knew he would never see the baby girl again. His eyes teared up but he squeezed them shut and took a deep breath. No. He would see the child again, but only when she was ready. Until then she would be sent to a trustworthy mortal family, she would be safe. At least, so Thor hoped.

"You sniveling creature! You dare take what is rightfully mine!" Suddenly Loki appeared a few feet away from Thor, his eyes burning with hatred. "You had no right!"

"I had every right, brother. You would only use her for your personal gain!" Thor yelled back.

"You will pay for what you have done this day brother. All of Asgard will pay and it will be your fault!" Loki screamed angrily.

"I do not think so. You will not have the chance." Thor twirled his hammer and flew at Loki. Loki would never lay hands on the child. The child would never be his. Never.