Chapter 3 - The God of Thunder

He smiled at me, revealing a row of perfectly straight, white teeth. I pursed my lips and cleared my throat in embarrassment.

"Well, I guess you know me, but I don't know you. How about a proper introduction." He stuck out a hand towards me. "Steve Rogers."

I stared at his hand in shock, not knowing what to say. I shakily grasped his hand and his fingers tightened around mine. God, it must feel like he's holding a baby's hand! I thought to myself.

"You know, this is supposed to be the part where you tell me your name," he said with a soft chuckle.

I shook my head and blinked. "Right, right, uh, Keira Foster."

"Unique name," he pulled his hand from mine and crossed his massive arms over his chest. "Foster, did you say? Any relation to Jane Foster?"

"Yes, uh, she's sort of my sister," I replied shyly. Wow, everyone knew who Jane was all because of her little thing with Thor.

"Sort of your sister?" he smiled again. "How does that work?"

I cleared my throat and tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear. "Well, we're not related by blood, her parents adopted me and we were raised as sisters."

He nodded, "Ah, that makes more sense. Well, I guess I should go meet Stark. He doesn't like to be kept waiting, but he'll gladly keep everyone else waiting for him."

I giggled, "Good to know that."

"Well, it was a pleasure to meet you Keira," he walked towards the elevator and pressed the up button.

"You too, Mr. Rogers!" I called after him as he stepped into the sleek metal box.

As the doors slid closed he smiled, "Call me Steve."

I sat back down in my leather chair and I gasped in exasperation. I just met Steve Rogers, Captain America. I knew I would probably come across an Avenger or two working here, but it didn't hit me until then. I was working, sort of, alongside the Avengers! Obviously I wasn't doing anything even close to half of what they do, but it was still amazing! I've met Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. Their personalities were completely different and it made me wonder how they could possibly get along on a team like they do.

Pepper returned a few hours later and waved me off. I still had a few hours before my shift was actually done, but I couldn't argue against her. She was a nice woman, also very intimidating, and I didn't want to end up on her bad side for arguing with her. I cleaned up my small area and shrugged on my coat. I glanced around the lobby and was a little taken aback by how empty it looked when only a few lights were off. I glanced down at the desk, eyeing the new computer. I didn't feel comfortable leaving out in the open at the building, so I picked it up and tucked it into my bag. Satisfied that everything seemed to be in order, I made my way to the exit. I glanced back just as a janitor came walking in, pushing his cart in front of him and whistling happily. I raised an eyebrow and narrowed my eyes.

"Adam?" I called out in surprise.

The janitor stopped whistling and looked towards me, and sure enough I recognized the unkempt hair and crooked jaw. He seemed to be embarrassed to have been caught here. "Uh, hey..." he said softly.

I walked over with a smile and laughed softly. "Strange seeing you here. Is this a little side job?"

"Yeah, uh, you could say that," he said with a shrug.

He seemed to be uncomfortable and itching to get back to work. "Well, I'll let you get back. I should be heading home anyways." I said with a small wave. I turned away and hurried out of the building.