Chapter 4 - Revelations

I felt a weight on my chest, making it a little harder to breath. I groaned and tried to roll on to my side, but whatever it was that was on my chest let out a frustrated meow. Toby? I opened my eyes and sure enough, curled up on my chest was Toby. I smiled and sat up slowly. He huffed and moved to the side of the bed, curling up again.

"I had the weirdest dream..." I said softly to him as I stroked his fur. "Thor showed up in our apartment and said-" I looked up from Toby and the words got caught in my throat. The room I was in, wasn't my room.

There was an open doorway that led into another room that seemed to have some sort of pool in it. A large, ornately carved wardrobe was a few feet to the left of the bed. Towards the corner was a smaller vanity made of the same dark wood as the wardrobe. To my right the thin, white curtains rustled slightly with the small breath of wind that came through the opened windows. I carefully pushed the silken sheets away from my legs and moved off the bed. My feet touched smooth wood and I walked towards the curtains. I grasped the thin fabric in my fingers and shoved the curtains to the side. I was shocked to find that instead of open windows, it was an open archway leading to a small balcony. I hesitantly walked outside, letting the warmth guide me along. The marble of the ground was cold against my bare feet, but I didn't mind it. Out in front of me a vast city of gold and stone stretched farther than I could see. In the distance I could faintly see a rainbow bridge leading to a golden building. Rainbow bridge? My eyes widened in horror and I shook my head. I was in Asgard. It wasn't a dream at all.

There was a knock at the bedroom door and I heard it slide open. "Oh! It seems you are awake," a soft, feminine voice exclaimed.

I turned around slowly and met a set of blue eyes. The woman was older, but she had soft features. Her eyes seemed to emanate wisdom and her smile only made her features look younger. She wore a pale green dress with a silver breastplate of armor. I placed a hand over my chest and began to breathe heavily.

The woman's gentle eyes turned to worry and she rushed to my side, placing a delicate hand on my back. "Calm yourself, child. Breathe, this all must be very overwhelming." I found myself nodding in response as she guided me towards the bed. She helped me to sit down and rubbed my back with a motherly touch. "Breathe, allow yourself to calm down," she said softly again.

I stared blankly down at the floor, trying to process what was going on. I was in Asgard. This woman sitting next to me was an Asgardian. I looked to her gentle blue eyes again and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Who are you?" I asked quietly.

She let out a small laugh, "I am Frigga."

My eyes widened in shock and I began to breathe heavily again, my heart hammering in my chest. "You- you're Thor's mother. You're the Queen of Asgard."

She nodded, "You are correct. You are Keira, are you not?"

"Yes..." I said breathlessly. "Why I am here?"

Frigga sighed heavily. "That is not for me to say, but your questions will be answered."

"And when will that be?"

"All in good time," she said as she stood up. "Now, please get ready. I will be back in a little while to fetch you and we can get you some food."

I nodded silently as she exited the room, leaving me alone. I stood up from the bed and walked over to the wardrobe. I grasped the small nobs shakily and opened the doors. The wardrobe was filled with beautiful dresses, each a different color. My eyes were drawn to a soft, lavender one with glittering jewels. I reached up and pulled it from its hanger. I set it gently on the bed and stripped off the nightgown. I slid into the lavender dress and was surprised to find it fit perfectly. There was a mirror next to the wardrobe and I appraised my new look. There was a strip of fabric that hung across my chest and fell over my right shoulder. There was a silvery, sheer layer that attached just under my breasts and fell the length of the dress. It was open down the front revealing the lavender fabric beneath it. I looked back in the wardrobe and found a pair of matching slippers. I had just slid them on my feet when there was a knock at the door. I hurried over and opened it to see a dark haired woman standing with her arms crossed over silver armor. She looked me up and down with a raised eyebrow then scoffed.

"You're Keira? You are much scrawnier than I thought," she said calmly.

I frowned and looked around her. "Where is Frigga? She said she would come back for me..."

"The Queen," she continued in a disapproving tone, "had other things to do so she sent me."

My shoulders sagged and I sighed heavily. "Oh... Who are you?"

"I am the Lady Sif," her chin raised as her voice took on a tone of pride.

A small bubble of excitement rose up in my throat and I couldn't help but smile. I was in the presence of the greatest warrior of Asgard. "It's an honor to meet you!" I exclaimed.

Sif eyed me in suspicion with my sudden mood swing, but shrugged her shoulders and nodded for m to follow her. I fell in step behind her and kept quiet while she led me to wherever we were going. The palace was enormous. There were so many halls and doors that I had no idea where they led to. There was one arch that caught my attention. There was no door, but instead of a golden archway, it was made of a fine wood. I could see branches coming through and if I looked close enough I could see the edge of tree roots. I raised an eyebrow in confusion and stopped. Slowly, I began walking through the arch, going to whatever was hiding. I passed through a similar arch again, though this one was smaller. Suddenly the space around me was bright and shining. I gasped and looked all around. In the center of the room was a tree, its roots spanning across the floor. Its branches reached towards the ceilings and I could faintly make out the leaves within the floating lights.

"What is this..." I muttered to myself as I spun beneath the tree, trying to figure out what was above me. The lights almost looked like stars. It was as if the universe was being held among the branches.

"There you are!" Sif exclaimed.

I shook my head and looked towards the small archway to see her coming at me rather quickly. Once she was close enough she snatched up my arm and dragged me out of the room.

"Wait!" I protested. "What is this place?"

"It is a library, did you not see the books?" She responded in annoyance.

"Books? I didn't see any books, all I saw was a big tree." I shook my head in confusion.

Sif came to a halt and whipped her gaze towards me. "What did you say?" She asked moving closer to me, her blue eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"I didn't see any books, I only saw a big tree. The branches were hidden in a fog with tons of smalls lights. The roots were all along the floor and some even came out of the room." I looked back towards the archway to see that the branches were gone. "But... I saw them..."

Sif tugged at my arm and quickened her pace. "Come, we must tell the Allfather of this discovery." Her face darkened, she knew something I didn't.

I frowned and tried to dig my heels in the floor to stop her, but I wasn't strong enough. She pulled me along like a rag doll and I had to give up on trying. We soon entered a very large room, and at the opposite end was an elaborate throne, an old man sitting in it. Sif slowed her pace and let go of my arm.

"Do not rush yourself, be respectful, and do not talk unless you are addressed." She whispered.

I felt my shoulders roll back as I straightened my posture. How do act in front of an almighty god? When we were a few feet from the throne Sof dropped to her knee and bowed her head. I stood in shock, staring wide eyed at the man sitting before me. This was Odin. King of Asgard, father of Thor. His one good eye turned to me, light glinting off the golden eyepatch of his other eye. His expression stayed neutral as he looked me up and down.

"You may stand, Lady Sif," he said powerfully while never breaking his gaze with me.

Sif stood up and remained tall and silent. My heart hammered in my chest as I stared at the Allfather. What should I do? What should I say? Should I even say anything?

Odin lifted his chin and leaned forward. "You must be Keira... The bastard daughter..." He chuckled and leaned back. "Why have you brought her here, Lady Sif? My wife was to deal with her."

I flinched at his cold tone and anger flared when he called me 'the bastard daughter'.

"Your majesty, Yggdrasil showed itself to her... It showed her its branches that hold the universe..." She said frantically, almost scared.

Odin's eye widened and he stood abruptly. "This cannot be... Fetch my son and Frigga, now." He commanded.