Chapter 1 - A New Job

My keys jingled as I unlocked the door to my small, new apartment. I opened the door and threw my keys into a small bowl on a dresser nearby. I dropped my bag on the ground and plopped down on the couch. I sighed heavily and looked around at all the boxes that still needed to be unpacked. I shook my head and pulled my phone out of my pocket.

How was your first day?!

Are you okay?

Why aren't you responding!

Please respond!!! I'm so worried!

I laughed softly as I read the messages from Jane. She had been with me ever since my parents dropped me off at her doorstep. We grew up as sisters, but she was obviously older. I had just recently graduated from high school and moved from the small town in New Mexico to New York. I was about a five minute drive from the city, but even in my little apartment I could still see the city. Sighing with a smile I quickly replied to Jane letting her know everything was alright. I hadn't started school yet and I was very thankful, but my first day was filled with headaches at the airport because my luggage had gotten lost and sitting in an uncomfortable cab as I was driven to my apartment building was not how I expected it to go. It was hectic, but my life had always been a little chaotic. A soft meow grabbed my attention as my grey tabby cat leapt onto the couch. He looked up at me with his yellow eyes and meowed again, this time a little more forceful.

"Hey there, Toby," I said as I reached my hand out to scratch underneath his chin. He closed his eyes and began purring happily and I couldn't help but laugh softly. My phone buzzed again and I wasn't surprised to find it was Jane texting me again.

I swear, if you don't reply I'm coming to New York myself to beat the snot out of you.

I laughed and quickly sent my response I had typed up earlier.

Calm down! I just forgot to hit the send button. I'm perfectly ok. Today started off a little stressful, but I'm in my apartment now and I'm feeling less overwhelmed.

I set my phone down knowing Jane would be satisfied with that response, but I made a mental note to remember to call her before I went to bed. I stood up from the couch and Toby huffed in protest, but he quickly curled up and shut his eyes.

"I don't know why you complain when all you do is go to sleep." I shook my head and headed to my new room.

The queen sized bed was still bare and more boxes were stacked along the walls. After a few minutes of looking through a bunch I finally found the ones that had all my pillows and such. I quickly got to work making my bed, but eventually I got distracted and ended up laying back on my couch and turning on the TV. I hadn't even finished making my bed. I stopped at the news to see the anchorman talking with a picture of Tony Stark in the corner. I raised an eyebrow and turned up the volume.

"Tony Stark announced this morning the future plans of his nearly destroyed New York tower. He says that it will be turning into a base for the Avengers. First the Avengers destroy most of the city, and now they want their own building in New York City? Have they gone too far?"

I groaned in disgust. Of course the news was bashing the Avengers. The people couldn't seem to appreciate what had been done for them! There was a wormhole above the city, aliens were flooding into the streets, but the Avengers joined together to stop them! They even stopped Loki! I shook my head and turned off the TV. I could not watch anymore of the news.

I stood up from the couch and grabbed my jacket. I shrugged on the old burgundy colored thing and put my purse around my shoulders. I knew I needed to get out and what better way than to go job hunting. Coming from New Mexico I had to leave my old job behind me and I did bring all my savings, but they weren't going to last me long. I turned off the few lights that were still on and gave a small smile to Toby before shutting the door. I made my way down the stairs and through the lobby to the sidewalks of New York City. The sounds and smells instantly overwhelmed my senses. Cars honked noisily all around, buses rattled by, and the thick stench of gasoline and hot dogs filled the air. Men and women passed by in formal business attire, some talked into headphones on calls and some hurried by, panicking about being late.

I shoved my hands into my pockets and hurried along. I stopped at a small newsstand, picked up the most recent newspaper, and flipped to the job section. I scanned over the titles and was shocked to see an opening at Stark Industries. I quickly placed a few dollars on the stand and hurried off towards the future Avengers tower. It took about ten minutes of speed walking before I actually arrived at the tower. Looking up at the massive building made me feel tiny. I clutched the paper tightly in my hand, took a deep breath and made my way inside the building.

Construction workers bustled about, the sound of chainsaws and sawdust filled the air. In the center was a tall, slim woman in a white pantsuit, her strawberry blonde hair was pulled into a clean ponytail and she was firing out commands left and right. I hesitated a moment before lifting my chin and striding over to her.

"Excuse me?" I asked over the noise.

The woman looked to me and raised an eyebrow. I lifted the paper and pointed to the small add. She nodded and motioned for me to follow. She led me down a hallway, the sounds of the construction slowly dying away. We continued on and soon arrived in a small office. Windows covered the wall opposite to us, there wasn't a speck of dust anywhere, and her desk had nothing but a name plate, a few pens, and a closed laptop. Two cushioned chairs were set across from her desk and behind it was a simple roller chair. The woman walked to a desk and gracefully sat down in the chair. I watched her hesitantly as she began scribbling down notes and a clean sheet of paper. After dotting the sentence she lifted her gaze up to me.

"Well?" she asked. "Are you going to sit?"

"Right!" I exclaimed nervously as I scurried to one of the plush seats across from her. I smiled awkwardly and she stared at me with a quirked eyebrow.

"So why do you want to work here?"she asked simply.

I shrugged and rubbed my sweaty palms against the sides of my thighs and took a slow breath. "Honestly, I just need a job. I just moved here from New Mexico to start school and obviously I need to find a job. I've been following Stark's Industries progress and I'm a big fan of Mr. Stark's work."

She nodded and scribbled a few notes down on her paper. She opened her mouth to ask another question when the door was opened and Tony Stark waltzed in.

"Got a minute Ms. Potts?" He asked with a smirk.

Ms. Potts gave him a small frown. "Mr. Stark," she said curtly. "I don't know if you saw, but I'm currently in the middle of an interview. You'll have to wait until I've finished."

Stark stopped at her side and I felt myself shrink down in the chair, intimidated by his presence. He looked to me and his body instantly tensed as he assessed my features in shock. I felt my face heat up and I looked down at my folded hands.

"You don't need to finish this interview. The new Avengers base is going to need a receptionist." He looked down to Ms. Potts and smiled. "After all, we'll need someone to keep the mobs out." He looked to me and kept the smug smile on his lips.

I looked to Ms. Potts with a questioning look. She sighed heavily, but gave me a warm smile. "Well, I guess your hired then!" She laughed softly and stood up. I stood up as well and clasped hands with her in a firm handshake. "Welcome to Stark Industries Ms.-" She stops mid-sentence and her cheeks lit up with a soft blush. "I'm sorry, I never asked for your name."

I smiled brightly. "Keira, Keira Foster."

Stark shifted to the side and stared at me more. "Foster? Any relation to Jane Foster?"

I looked to him with a raised eyebrow and nodded slowly. "Yes... She's kind of my adopted sister."

Stark nodded and remained silent. I felt a little awkward, but ignored it. After saying goodbye to Ms. Potts I left her office and was about to leave when I slammed into a heavily armored body.