/13/

𖦹chapter 13: dinner and i love you𖦹

me and finn had been dating for about 2 months now and both our families knew. we had met eachothers families but not very properly. me and finney decided we should have dinner with eachothers families so we can meet them properly.

first we were having dinner with his family on tuesday (today)... then on thursday we were having dinner with my family. i knew his dad was an alcoholic that could be abusive at times. but i knew gwen was an amazing young girl.

i was going to walk to finn's house at around 5 to be there at like 5:20. he told me to be there before 5:30 so it was perfect. i wanted to dress nice but not super fancy. i threw on some baggy jeans, a loose floral top, and my black chucks (chucks are converse btw).

i was walking to finneys house when i felt like i was being followed. i saw this van behind me. it was black and in colored letters said "abracadabra" and some stuff underneath. i ignored it but walked faster. luckily i was on finneys street so i jogged to his front door and rang the doorbell. the van made a U-turn once i got to finneys house which was weird but i tried not to think about it.

finn's dad answered the door. he was wearing a button up with his usual jeans. i appreciate he was dressed up nice. "hey, uh, dinners almost ready. finneys in his room" he seemed very jittery. "ok! thank you mr. blake!"

he let me in and i walked to finneys room. he was crying. he didn't hear me walk in. "finn?" he quickly wiped his tears and looked up. "what's wrong?" i asked very concerned. "nothing. i'm fine" he was obviously not fine.

"finn i know when somethings off with you. what's wrong"
"just an argument with my dad."
"did he do anything?!"
"he was just mad because i asked if he didn't drink while you were here."
"finn did he do anything?!"
"he slapped me but it's nothing."

i sat on his bed and gestures for him to sit down. he got up from the corner he was sitting in and sat down next to me. he put his head on my shoulder and i just rubbed his back.

"i love you y/n arellano."

"i love you too finney blake."

𖦹𖦹𖦹

eventually mr. blake called that dinners ready and me and finney went downstairs. gwen was already down there. i assumed she was watching TV or something. we all sat at the dining table. i sat next to finn and gwen sat next to her father.

me and mr. blake got along... fine. the conversations we had were very awkward.

"so y/n what do your parents do for work?"
"my dad builds buildings for major companies and my mom is a logo designer. they get a lot of racist comments since they have good jobs but they love their jobs."
"oh that's horrible! what race are they, if you don't mind me asking"
"both my parents are mexican. they met in mexico when they were young and crossed the border with my dads brother the second they got the chance."
"that's amazing that they were able to start a life here."
"yeah it's pretty awesome."

finn had told me his dad was pretty racist so i knew he was probably just being nice. i appreciate it... but don't appreciate that he was pretending.

mr. blake was drinking. not alot... but it was enough to be drunk by the end of the night. with every time he refilled his cup he seemed more angry. my uncle used to be the same way before the war. i knew what was coming.

i tried talking with finney and gwen to distract them but i knew their dad was gonna be mad at them in some general way.

about an hour of dinner and mr. blake drinking more and more heavily throughout the night something happened. something i knew would happen.

we were sitting at the table. mr. blake wasn't really saying anything but he was there. it had started raining. we were all laughing telling jokes and stories when gwen reached for my hand so i could show her my bracelet... but while reaching she knocked over her cup and it spilled everywhere.

mr. blake sat there and processed it. then got mad.

"gwen. what the fuck is wrong with you." (mr. blake)
"sorry daddy" (gwen)
"it's ok mr. blake i'll clean it up." (y/n)
"I TOLD YOU TO BE MORE CAREFUL GWEN" (mr. blake)
"DAD ITS OK." (finn)
"DADDY IM SORRY"

gwen tried to clean it up but then dropped her plate from being so overwhelmed.

"GWENDOLYN BLAKE. WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU"
"mr. blake it's alright. i can help gwen clean it up and everything with be-"
"STAY OUT OF THIS BEANER YOU GOOD FOR NOTHING LITTLE SHIT SHOULDNT EVEN BE TALKING TO MY SON."
"DAD SHUT UP"
"YOU WANNA GET HURT FINNEY?!"

mr. blake walked to his room and everyone knew what was going to happen next. i picked up gwen and signaled finney to follow me. i put gwen down once we got outside.

"i'm so sorry y/n"
"dont be! you can't control what happens. you guys can stay with me."
"are you sure?"
"i am absolutely positive. are you guys ok? i know it's overwhelming... my uncle was kinda the same before the war"
"i'm sorry."
"dont be."

we walked to my house and when we got there my parents were confused. gwen and finn sat on the couch and watched tv with robin while i talked to my parents.

"mama, su padre les iba a pegar. No podía dejarlos."
"mija... Podemos dejar que se queden unas noches, pero no podemos aceptarlos"
"GRACIAS MAMI"

i went downstairs and told finn. he felt bad. anyone could tell. but i knew him and gwen needed a break from his dad. finney and robin would sleep in robins room and me and gwen would sleep in my room.

—————————————————————

1033 words :)

SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING YESTERDAY!!!
i've been having some ✨boy problems✨ but this chapter made me happier :))

xx ella 💋