CH 1 : Taking Bets

Of three things Juniper Jennings was certain: strawberry Twizzlers were the greatest candy to ever be invented, fantasy come-to-life was absolutely terrifying, and Steve Harrington was immensely oblivious to her still-existent feelings for him.

"You can't seriously think they'll win," Steve scoffed from one aisle of the store, stocking tapes rather aggressively given they were only talking about basketball.

Robin snickered from her own aisle along the other side, organizing tapes much more leisurely. "Figures you'd be all hung up over this season now that you're out. Tell me, Harrington, does it bother you that we could win the championship title without you leading the team?"

Steve's expression turned deadpan. "Actually, Buckley, yeah, yeah it does. I mean, c'mon, I was probably the best player they had– there's no way they can pull this off."

Robin's expression grew mischievous. "Wanna bet on that?"

"You're on," Steve challenged, pointing a tape at Robin. His hair flipped over his face, which he flicked back after dropping the tape on his cart unceremoniously.

For the first time, June interjected with a subtle snort. "You'll lose."

He shot her a glare. "You can't even be on my side just this once?"

June shook her head, biting back a smirk. She reached her hand into the bag of Twizzlers she held to fish one out as she explained, "Actually no, not when Rob's around."

"I'm her number one, Harrington," Robin announced proudly, almost bragging. "Get used to taking second place."

"Besides," June continued, not interested in touching that comment from her best friend, "you know as well as I do that you've never once won a bet against Robin. It's honestly ridiculous to even think you will this time given your track record."

As Robin burst into a round of bold laughter, Steve jumped onto the edge of his cart and skated himself over to the counter on which June sat. His hand shot out, plucking the Twizzler from her hand before she could bite it. "For that, you lose this."

June hugged her candy package protectively. "Stealing candy is a new low for you."

"And picking on a wounded man when he's already down is a new low for you. Be honest, did Keith put you up to this? I mean, it's not even like you work here-"

"Boo!" Robin interrupted dramatically. "She's obviously the comic relief, duh. And it wasn't Keith– it was me. I need someone to help me cope with your dramatics."

Steve snorted, shaking his head. "Like your theatrics are any better." When June reached for her stolen Twizzler, he bit into the licorice before she could, waving the remaining candy tauntingly. "I'm gonna prove you both wrong!"

Robin rolled her eyes. "That means you'll actually have to show up to the game tomorrow. You know, to witness firsthand your loss."

June frowned and tilted her head at Steve. "You're coming, right? I mean, I was figuring we'd go together."

Steve hesitated, looking away from her. "Actually-"

"Turns out he's just too cool for school," Robin told June airily. "He picked up an evening shift."

"Some of us have to work to make money now that each day doesn't consist of eight hours of classes," Steve shot back, picking up a rubber band off his cart and launching it at Robin. "Sue me."

"Well that's a bummer," June muttered, reaching into her bag for another Twizzler. As before, Steve plucked that one right out of her hands as well. "Hey!"