CH 13 : Open Wounds

June yelped in excitement. Everyone's hands moved into the light, making it glow as brilliantly as possible.

"Okay, okay, shit. Uh, blink once for yes, twice for no. Got it?"

Everyone pulled their hands back, then Nancy pushed hers into the light once– yes.

"Ha, yes! Okay, is everyone there?"

One blink for yes.

"Is everyone okay?"

Nancy glanced at Steve, then blinked twice. She didn't know about June's injury, which was beginning to bother her again.

"Shit, okay..." Dustin paused, then said, "We can't really talk here, but, uh... Go to Nancy's room! We have an idea."

All five of them hustled quickly up the stairs. Somehow June ended up ahead of Steve, and his hand pressed warmly into the center of her back as they climbed.

"I can't believe that actually worked," Robin said, shocked.

"This is so trippy," Eddie muttered, shaking his head.

"Can you hear me?" Dustin's voice came again. Nancy moved quickly to her lamp, signaling yes. "Okay, good. We've got Holly's LiteBrite. Give us a minute to put in the pegs."

June watched, amazed, as Dustin's plan was put into action and they were able to communicate with the lights. Nancy spelled out how they were stuck and how the gate was guarded, which led to Dustin launching a new theory of his.

"Genius child," Robin announced.

"We think there's a new gate at every murder site," Dustin was saying.

"Does anyone know what he's talking about?" Nancy asked. June tried to think it over as everyone shook their heads, leading Nancy to send back a question mark.

"Okay, seriously? How many times do I have to be right on the money before you guys just trust me?" Dustin yelled back.

"Jesus Christ, this kid's gotta get his ego in check," Steve muttered.

"It's his tone, right?" Eddie agreed, nodding.

"Wait!" June said as the pieces clicked together. "The murder sites. Plural. The lake was from Patrick, but Eddie-" She turned to him. "Your trailer would have one."

Eddie paled noticeably, knowing she was referring to Chrissy's death.

"That could work," Robin said.

"How far away is your trailer?" Nancy asked.

"About seven miles," he answered hesitantly, and June knew how much he despised the thought of going back to that place.

"We can do that," Robin announced. "Nancy, I know this place is freakishly frozen in time, but you've always had bikes, right?"

Nancy nodded, then wrote to Dustin their plan.

"Edd-Eddie's! Okay, yes! We'll meet you there!" Dustin yelled.

"It's not that far," Robin was saying as she and Nancy hurried from the room. "We've just got to avoid any bats, then we'll be..."

Eddie was visibly shaken. He lingered in the doorway, lost in his thoughts. Steve and June shared a look before she stepped forward, placing her hand on his shoulder. "Eddie, are you okay?"

"Fine, yeah, I'm fine." He cleared his throat, shuffled his weight on his feet. "It's just... You know, with Chrissy-"

"It'll be okay," she told him softly, squeezing his shoulder. "It's not like before. You won't be alone this time."