CH 16 : Stocking Up

If it wasn't for the fact that they were committing theft right in front of the people from which they were stealing due to a serious life or death matter, June probably would have found the situation quite comical.

Instead, she was anxiously waiting for Eddie, Steve, and Robin to get the RV they were stealing up and moving, and every second she waited for the people who owned it to catch them and bang against the doors stressed her out even more.

"What's taking so long?" Dustin complained harshly but quietly, shoving himself into a seat with the rest of the younger kids. "We're kind of on a deadline here!"

June shoved her way past them just in time to see Eddie with a pair of pliers shoved in his mouth as Steve watched everything he was doing. "Where'd you learn how to do this?"

"Well, when the other dads were teaching their kids how to fish or play ball," Eddie muttered, shaking his head as he worked on the wires, "my old man was teaching me how to hotwire. Now, I swore I wouldn't wind up like he did, but, uh, now I'm wanted for murder and, soon, grand theft auto." He took a second to flash them all a wry grin, his gaze landing the longest on June. "So, uh, yeah, I'm really living up to that Munson name."

"Uh, Eddie, no offense," Robin chimed in, "but I'm not sure that I love the idea of you driving."

"Oh, I'm just starting this sucker," he replied easily, glancing back over his shoulder. He flashed another wicked grin. "Harrington's got her, don't ya, big boy?"

Eddie made another pass with the wires before Steve could say anything in reply, and the vehicle roared to life. As the engine backfired, the radio kicked on, blasting loudly.

"What the hell?" Someone from outside yelled, banging hard on the side of the RV. Other outraged voices and hands joined in.

"Oh, shit!" Steve yelled. "Oh, shit! Go!" He jabbed Eddie's arm, motioning for him to get out of the way. As Eddie jumped out of the front seat, Steve took his place, muttering to himself before calling out, "Everybody hold onto something!"

"Oh my god, oh my god," Lucas chanted, gripping the table in front of him.

"Drive, Steve, drive!" Dustin hollered, holding onto the back of his seat.

"Go, go, go, go!" Robin yelled, and in response Steve slammed his foot on the pedal and the RV surged forward.

"They look pissed," June said, watching the angry couple run after the RV.

"It's not every day you lose your house and car in one fell swoop," Robin said, trying to laugh. Instead she grimaced when Steve took a rather sharp turn.

"Watch out!" Nancy yelled, and Steve listened, turning the wheel sharply to avoid hitting things as much as possible in their way. After barreling straight through a bunch of trash cans and nearly toppling the RV, Steve managed to get all the wheels back on the ground and gunned it again, shooting them straight down the road.

"That wasn't so bad, huh?" he asked, the adrenaline still racing through him. He even looked over at June, who was huddled behind the front passenger seat. She thought she tried to smile at him, but he looked away too soon.

"I knew you had it in you, Harrington," Eddie called out, laughing. "I knew you had it in you!"

For a while they all stayed hyped up on the shared adrenaline from their theft, but as the adrenaline drained away, everyone began to settle in. Max and Lucas were huddled on the floor of the RV, both writing or drawing on scrap paper they had found. Dustin and Eddie were playing a card game that Erica watched, adding her two cents every chance she got about how they were playing. Nancy had moved to the front seat next to Steve, although neither of them were speaking. June could see that Nancy's head was turned away from him, her gaze focused out the window, while his focus was on the road ahead of them.