Chapter Twelve

Henry was laying on a beach when he awoke from his slumber. Strange, he thought. He didn't remember being anywhere near a beach, perhaps this was the newest location Lance and his scouts were using.

He sat up and felt his bare feet slide into the moist sand in front of him, the waves gently lapping against his ankles.

Looking around he noticed there was nobody here with him, nor any footprints anywhere in the sand around him. He began to survey his surroundings, first noting a lit and roaring fire about fifteen feet away from him.

There were several exotic looking trees, none were like anything he had ever seen before; and contained strange looking fruit things hanging within the branches? He wasn't really sure what those were either.

Okay. He was starting to realize that maybe Lance had not brought him here, but better to check right?

"Lance? Lavender? Ziggy? Is anybody there?"

After several minutes of no reply, he stood up and walked towards the fire; there were no footsteps anywhere near it either.

The sky was awash with stars that lit up the night, and a large, full moon that shone down a clear beam of radiant moonlight. He looked out to the water, enraptured by the absolute beauty and clearness of it.

Hello... my child...

What was that voice? It sounded like it was inside of his head. He still hasn't seen anybody else here, so either it was in his head or he is imagining things.

While looking across the clear, blue water he saw a reflection of himself; but it was a reflection of a much older Henry, years older in fact.

He looked rough. Almost like life hasn't gotten any better in the future. Well great, that was promising.

Standing behind him in the reflection, no wait, maybe it was laying behind him? It was hard to tell because the size of the thing was massive, too large to see what it was even.

Suddenly the creature moved at a furious speed, erasing the image of his future self with ripples that spread across the water's surface.

Come. My... child. You must save me.

Save you? I don't even know who or what you are? I will ask my big brother... he will tell me if you are ok.

A very low and guttural sound ripped across the water, shaking the entire island he was standing on every twenty seconds or so; Henry was fairly certain that it was an island. The sound continued for another minute or so, causing the entire island to rhythmically pulse to the beat of it.

Holy shit. I think that was it's laughter, wait does that mean this is big brother?

"Big brother?" He asked aloud when the island had ceased its rumbling.

Very good, Henry. I was worried you would not recognize me in... this form.

"Exactly what form is this?" Henry honestly wasn't sure if he would recognize it in any form, it has only spoken to him in his mind; teaching him how to tap into his magic and helping to keep him safe like a big brother.

This is... my true form...

It was speaking really slowly. Almost as if in pain. The thought suddenly had Henry worried for his big brother.

"Are you hurt? You sound like you are having trouble talking."

I am... weak... compared to what I... once was...

It almost sounded like its voice was rasping from difficulty. Henry lurched forwards, toward the only person who had ever cared for him. Up until now at least he has had nobody but his big brother, now he has Lance, Lavender, and everybody to help look after him.