Bond and Fly: Chapter 9

I was restless. The day was extremely hot and I was frustrated. After the market incident, I was under even more eyes. Not that people were spying on me, but I could definitely tell guards turned to look at me when I went outside the palace as if they were expecting me to dart down the hill towards the city any second. It was slightly unsettling, but I knew it was because they were just worried about me.

I had spent the whole day nearly laying by the cool fireplace which I had learned was some kind of air conditioning or something like it. It was nice, but I was still sweaty and tired. I was grumpy and the royal family seemed to notice that and canceled the human lessons for the day, leaving me to do whatever I wanted. Lark had stopped in briefly but I ended up snapping at him so he fled.

I was done with the palace for now. I wanted to go wandering in the woods. If I remember correctly, then it was much cooler than the area around it and the palace grounds. I groan and pull myself to my feet, setting down the book on a coffee table by the fireplace.

I quickly walk back into my bedroom, rummaging around in my desk until I found a notepad and pen. I knew from experience that just disappearing tended to leave people scratching their heads and worried. And I still wasn't very good at figuring out how to use their technology so paper notes were going to have to do.

Gone into woods. I'll be careful. Be back before sunset.

Lyn,

It was short and to the point. And I was still following the rules where I was supposed to be back inside the palace before sunset. That was pretty much the only rule I had. Don't leave the palace grounds except for the back woods and be inside the palace before sundown. Two simple, easy-to-follow rules. I didn't really get the whole be back before sundown thing but if it was one of two rules, I would follow it.

I look down at myself and sigh. I was in an extremely loose and flowy tank top and skirt made out of the same breathable fabric. Not the best clothes for going hiking through the woods, but it would be fine since there wasn't much brush on the path to the pool.

A swim sounded amazing right now.

Over the past two months of living at the palace, I had gotten used to it. And the people in the palace had gotten used to me. So it wasn't unusual to give polite smiles and waves to the people I pass as I make my way down to the ground floor and out the back door, grumbling about the heat once I exit the relative cool of the palace walls.

I nearly sprint across the gardens, ducking down so I can fit through the hole in the trees. It was immediately cooler than the gardens. And I grin. It wasn't exactly the cool air that made me grin, it was the forest itself. Something about it always seemed to calm my frazzled nerves. Whenever I was worked up and needed to relax, I would come to the forest. And I didn't really need to go far in, only ten or so feet in seemed to be enough because the wall of trees blocked whatever was going on the outside.

I quickly make my way through the forest along the stream and grin when I reach the edge. I had figured out I no longer needed to climb down the steps as I could just jump into the pool below since it was deep enough and the clif was short enough.

And so I go, I launch myself over the edge, screaming on the way down, a grin splitting my face. I hit the water with a giant splash and end up plunging into the water below. I shiver and nearly gasp at the cold. It was nice, but I realize another problem. My clothes would be absolutely soaked and very possibly see-through.

I kick up to their surface of the water, breaking free. Only to come face to face with Taniya, much like the first day I had met her. There was something akin to panic or concern in her eyes, quickly fading as she sees that I am alright.