Epilogue: Chapter 17

Today was the day. Everything was prepared and it was beautiful. It took months of planning, and even longer to actually get everything set up, but today was perfect. The ceremony hall was bathed in warm golden light, turning the white cloths and flowers an almost gold color. The little rhinestones were sparkling and twinkling in the light, accenting the room and making it pop.

The long ceremony hall was filled to the rafters with people in all different arrays of color, either from their outfits, or actual bodies. This was the biggest event of the year and a seat to watch it first hand was more precious than gold.

And yet the beauty of the hall or importance of the event paled in comparison when I saw Adina, waiting for me at the end of the aisle. She stood there, is a shaft of light coming in from the large window, looking more beautiful than I had ever seen her.

Dressed in a pure white full ruffled ball gown with a delicately beaded bodice, sparkling in the light. She had a delicate crown of woven wires and precious gems atop her head but nothing could distract from her brilliant smile. She was beautiful and waiting for me.

I was dressed in almost the complete opposite from her. I am dressed in a bright dress, bright red wine-colored top with three-quarter sleeves that were edged in gold thread. The bottom half of my dress was a skirt of blues, greens, purple, and gold, draped down in stripes. There were chains of gold and silver, with little disks hanging from my shoulders and waist, falling to make loops. There was a five-inch wide band of woven teal-colored thread with spirals and patterns across my chest that then moved down to my waist and fell with the rest of the skirt.

For the ceremony, we decided to do a little play on our cultures. Adina would wear a traditional American dress while I would wear a dress from Epsilion. Clara and Eptern didn't understand at first, but once they saw what it would be like, they agreed and figured that it would be a nice way to incorporate both cultures.

The low beats of drums start and I know it's time for me to start walking. The drums are low and rhythmic, quicker and higher-pitched coming in and out of the medley. The walk feels like it takes forever and I have to force myself to slow down, eager to get up to Adina, and finally be able to complete this.

I beam at her and finally walk up the steps, gathering my skirt so I don't trip and go face-first onto the floor. How embarrassing would that be? The instant I am within arms langth, Adina reaches out and takes both my hands in hers, and I sigh.

I can feel the love, warmth, and excitement radiating from Adina. Even before I touched her I could feel it, it was so overwhelmingly powerful. I grip her hands tighter and smile, trying to let her understand how happy I was at this moment.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the union between Earth and Epsilion, even more importantly between Adina and Katlyn. The path here may have been difficult and rough, but they are here, together despite the almost impossible obstacles in their way," The Earthen priest says and I look into Adina's eyes, transfixed.

"Katlyn and Adina have been blessed, being able to be here together. I understand that they wish to be wed by The Mother's high priestess. I will step aside and leave the two of them in her capable hands," The priest says, stepping back, being replaced by the High Priestess who completed my coming of age ceremony.

"I was the one who welcomed both Adina and Katlyn into adulthood, and I feel honored to be welcoming them into their joined union," The high priestess says, smiling at the two of us.

The high priestess stops speaking in a language that my translator doesn't understand. I recognize it as the same language she spoke during my coming of age ceremony. It's almost like a song, even if she was only speaking, weaving together and making a harmony even if she was the only one speaking.

She falls silent and dips two of her fingers from each hand in blood-red paint. She takes her fingers and drags them across both mine and Adina's foreheads, smiling.

"You are now joined for the rest of your lives," She says, stepping back.

Adina doesn't wait for a second more and crashes her lips into mine. I smile into the kiss and return it, so so happy. We both pull back and are left looking at each other. Adina in the first to speak.

"I love you," She says, soft and only meant for my ears.

"I love you too," I say, grinning.

I didn't care about the grand party that was going to happen next. I didn't care that there were at least five hundred people watching us right now. I pull Adina close and bury my head in her neck, smiling through my tears.

I had my wife in my arms and I was home.