Chapter 8

Sleep didn’t help one bit. In fact, it might have made things worse. He could tell by dead silence in the air that Eun-ji was already gone for the morning. He lazily looked over at the time. It was early, earlier than when she normally leaves for work. He was in a sour mood because of it. Maybe if he didn’t sleep he would have caught her in the kitchen before she left. 

Eventually after laying in bed for much longer than he ever wanted to, he flung off the blankets and got ready for the day. He glanced at the red blanket on his bed, debating if he wanted to give it back or keep it for himself. He sighed and gathered the soft material in his arms before walking it to Eun-ji’s room. 

Her room was still in disarray, the clothes from last night were still on the floor and her bed nest was a mess, almost like she woke and rushed out of the house. Rushed away from him. The thought alone made his mind darker. How could he go from feeling so victorious to this? Unhappy with everything, he placed the blanket on her bed, scenting it for her out of habit first, and lifting his phone to his ear to call Yuri. Maybe she could help him get out of the foul mood. 

Now if the fox had gone to the kitchen and proceeded with his normal routine he would have seen the note that was left behind on the counter by the coffee pot. 

Lee Rang, 

Sorry I didn’t wake you. I had to rush to work this morning - Shin-Joo called me early. His friend, Lee Yeon, got hurt and he had to tend to him. I have to open the hospital alone. I feel like we need to talk about last night, I wasn’t in the best state of mind. I hope you’re willing to give me some moments of your time. I’ll text you when I go on break.

Mae Eun-ji

He would have also noticed the cell phone that was left behind by the wolf in her rush to leave. He didn’t have the whole picture and so his sour mood continued on. 

***

Eun-ji sighed as the front door to the clinic closed behind the patient. Her morning had been a little busy, she had gotten in early to call all of the appointments and switch them to a later date or time. She kept all the simple appointments such as nail trims and follow up booster vaccines because Shin-Joo didn't need to examine pets for those types of appointments. 

Her stomach rumbled with hunger but she couldn’t take a break yet - she still had three more appointments coming in for little things. With her rush this morning she wasn’t even able to grab a coffee, let alone any breakfast. Maybe she could ask Lee Rang if he could stop by and bring her something? She patted her pockets for her phone but it wasn’t in any of them. 

She started thinking back to when she had it last but only remembered bringing it into the kitchen this morning. She thought to herself that she must have put them down with the front door keys after opening the building. The wolf walked over to the desk in the back of the office and found the keys but there was no phone in sight. 

Dread fell over her shoulders. She must have left it home. Groaning in disappointment and grief, she slumped into the chair at the desk. She had left the note for Lee Rang that she would text him during her break, but now she couldn’t. She didn’t even know his number because it was just programmed into her phone, so she couldn’t even call him from the office line. 

She lifted herself and went into the small kitchen breakroom to see if Shin-Joo had any food she could snack on. There were some stale saltine crackers on one of the shelves or a small snack sized yogurt in the fridge. She decided on the yogurt and planned to replace it as soon as she could. 

The small snack wasn’t very filling, but it was strawberry banana flavored which tasted pretty good to her. She let her mind wander back to how she was going to talk with Lee Rang later and cringed over every scenario. She really wished she never opened her mouth last night. Ki Yuri has warned her not to talk to Lee Rang yet about their situation until she was completely sober. Yes she wanted things to slow down but she could have handled it better.