Chapter 13

Eun-ji tried everything that Rang and herself could think of to open the box. She threw it, hit it, tried to light it on fire and nothing seemed to work. There was a moment of false hope when the wolf was gently picking at one of the cracks in the wood. A small piece chipped off and a rush of a small memory that shot into her brain. 

It was of a woman and man, both deeply in love as they looked down at a baby. Eun-ji knew in an instant that it was her parents and herself. She felt tears build on her eyes and blinked rapidly to make them go away. She now had faces in place as her family. 

Rang and her each took turns after that trying to pick and pry more tiny pieces off with no success. The oblivion box was getting on the fox's nerves and it added to the stress he was already feeling with his own situation with Ryong. 

The wolf could sense the frustration from the fox and took the box from his hands before directing his attention to her. "Let's take a break and go for a walk." She suggested, lacing her fingers with his and tugging him from the couch. That’s how they ended up outside during the sunny afternoon. Eun-ji held his hand, fingers still laced and with her other hand she held onto his lower arm, resting her head against his upper arm as they walked. 

She tried to enjoy the moments of peace with him. She was able to notice tiny things, like how their steps were in sync or how his scent seemed to intensify any time someone walked past them. The wolf's heart was beating at a regular rate but she was aware of how full it felt. 

Rang tried to rub his headache away and enjoy his time with the wolf, but he was deep in thought between the two conversations he had recently with Ryong and Ui-ong. The sounds of an ambulance’s siren caught his attention as he stopped in his tracks. A second ambulance followed behind, he watched the vehicle speeding by. His gut twisted and he knew it wasn’t anything good. 

“You have two days to bring me Lee Yeon. It’s his body I need.” Ryong stated as he held the Chinese Lantern out to him. 

“Rather than thinking about breaking the deal, think of a way to untangle the mess.” Ui-ong spoke softly. 

“I wonder what’s going on?” Eun-ji questioned as she watched the ambulances drive by. 

“Imugi, that scumbag, what in the world has he done?” Rang mumbled loudly, catching the wolf’s attention. 

“Who is Imugi?” 

Rang looked at her, tightening his jaw as his scent soured a little before speaking in a stiff tone of voice. “Someone I don’t want you tangled with.” 

Eun-ji could sense how serious he was about it. This Imugi was definitely someone that was involved with one of Rang’s many secrets. “Okay.” She gave a soft smile and squeezed his hand tightly twice. She trusted that if he felt she should know then he would tell her. She pulled herself close to him again, nuzzling her cheek into his arm. 

They continued to walk in silence and Eun-ji realized that Rang wasn’t the only one who needed this. Fresh air, sunshine and the thoughts of nothingness. She had given up on ideas for the oblivion box. She would get it open eventually, maybe Yeon or Shin-joo would have an idea that they haven't tried yet. 

They came to a set of stairs and Rang led her down them. He had been as silent as could be since mentioning the Imugi person. Eun-ji could tell there was a lot on his mind and she wished he would share with her so that she could try to ease his turmoil. 

"Rang?" 

"Hm?" 

"You know you can always talk to me about things going on, right? I don't know if it's because you just don't want me to know or if you're still in the mindset that you have to hide this side of you from me."