Prologue

A powerful tengu attacked a small village with his band of yokai brothers. They destroyed homes and burned municipal facilities, robbed restaurants and bars. They scared the people in the village and laughed at their fear.

This sparked the wrath of Kannon-sama , a powerful god of kindness and mercy. She's not one to be merciful this time when she sent her familiar and servants to capture each and every demon that dared wreak havok in the small quiet village.

One after another, her servants and familiar brought the assailants. One after another she placed a curse upon them and sent them out to find cure for their illnesses.

The last one brought in was Jiro. He was the strongest and the hardest one to capture. He's also a charmer who charmed most of the local women to protect him at all costs.

This stoked the wrath of Kannon-sama further. The tengu carried too much darkness in his soul. He's not only a brute, selfish, cruel, he's also manipulative. He even tried to use his charms on her, offering his services instead of punishment.

For this, the goddess put together a curse especially concocted for him. For his cruelness and for his selfishness. For his attempt to woo women for his own selfish gains. The goddess coursed him with a strong spell the would turn his magnificent beauty into a form of a beast.

"You are to spend the rest of your life as a beast!" Goddess Kannon-sama grumbled in her out of this world ethereal voice. You have 50 years to reverse the spell or spend the rest of your walking life as a full pledged beast."

The curse worked on Jiro. Cool wisps of her power weaved into his soul and enveloped him with its power. Jiro felt it in his bones, the power that was imbued in him. He felt himself powerless as he fell weak on his knees watching his flesh get consumed by the curse inch by inch.

His beautiful wings buckled on his shoulders, mass of feathers began to grow like weeds on his skin - until every part of him turned into limb covered feathers, last part of him to turn was his beautiful face because his face has been Jiro's most treasured asset.

Slowly and painfully, his face began to mold into a bird's and sprouted feathers until nothing but the slit of his eyes is left uncovered.

Jiro felt the twang of his sorrowful heart pounded. Remorse aligned in the tone of his voice. He felt remorseful for all the things he'd done, for all the spirits he hurt, but knew at the same time he couldn't just ask for forgiveness. He must pay for each crimes that he committed.

He knew what he must do now. He must find a way to spend the rest of his life in servitude of spirits but the rest of the curse he doesn't know how to break.

With what's left of his dignity, Jiro lifted his head to the goddess, his eyes filmed with tears. "How do I get my handsome face back?"

Kannon-sama let out an incredulous laughter, out of all the curse she placed upon Jiro, it was his vanity he was most worried. She knew his heart hasn't changed one bit. He is as conceited and self centered as he was before she placed the curse on him.

"Find a girl and make her fall in love with that beastly face!" She spoke and with one powerful flick of her finger, Jiro was lifted off the sacred floor of her shrine.

Powerful wind blew him out of the door slamming his back against branches and limbs of trees. Again and again on series of wooden gates until he was ushered out of the final gate with a great big bang of the wooden panels slamming shut on his face.

The gates to the powerful goddess of mercy and kindness closed its doors on him.